Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need Recomendations for Random Orbital Sander

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Need Recomendations for Random Orbital Sander

I am seeking to replace my ROS sander used for final wood finishing and leveling film coats and would appreciate hearing some of your experiences. I am looking at the Festool ETS EC125/3 EQ 5" ; the Mirka Direct Electric 5”; and the SurfPrep 5″ Electric Ray Sander but am open to other suggestions. We do not have a Woodcraft or a Berlands House of Tools near where I live, so I am relegated to shopping online. Your recomendation will be appreciated.

If your recommendation is Festool, will it work with Abranet mesh pads and with solid finishing discs?

Thank you.
    Bill
    Last edited by Bill Lyman; 05-26-2019 at 7:18 AM.

Well, I'm a Festool system user and fan, myself. Mirka is also a fine brand. I'm not familiar with the other one you mention. And yes, you can use a mesh abrasive system with the Festool sander, both the native Festool version now available or Abranet with an interface pad.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

My favorite sander is a Bosch 1250DEVS. It's turbo mode significantly reduces my sanding time. It is a 6 inch sander in the shape of a grinder or polisher. I use it one handed but it is almost too big for that.

I use the Festool sander you mentioned and am happy with it. The on/off switch is a little awkward, but that's the only drawback in my view. I have used a Mirka and like it a bit better but the cost is significantly higher. It's the closest analogue to Dynabrade air sanders I have seen. I am not familiar with the Surfprep line.

If I were buying again I would seriously consider getting a 6" model.

Thank you for your suggestions. Both the Mirka and the Surfprep appear to be operable by one hand, but Festoool requires two hands. Investigation continues.

Quote Originally Posted by William Lyman View Post
    Thank you for your suggestions. Both the Mirka and the Surfprep appear to be operable by one hand, but Festoool requires two hands. Investigation continues.
    The only sanders from Festool that require "two hands" are the Rotex varieties, IMHO. I have the 150/3 (which is larger than the 125mm/5" unit you're considering) and I specifically use it 95% of the time because I can use it one handed. I only pull out the Rotex when I need the specific capabilities of a true rotary action for heavy stock removal/shaping.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    The only sanders from Festool that require "two hands" are the Rotex varieties, IMHO. I have the 150/3 (which is larger than the 125mm/5" unit you're considering) and I specifically use it 95% of the time because I can use it one handed. I only pull out the Rotex when I need the specific capabilities of a true rotary action for heavy stock removal/shaping.
    Exactly what I do with those two. It’s rare I use the Rotex.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Yes. Sometimes you just wanna say, Bring out the gimp! :^)

Quote Originally Posted by William Lyman View Post
    I am seeking to replace my ROS sander used for final wood finishing and leveling film coats and would appreciate hearing some of your experiences. I am looking at the Festool ETS EC125/3 EQ 5" ; the Mirka Direct Electric 5”; and the SurfPrep 5″ Electric Ray Sander but am open to other suggestions. We do not have a Woodcraft or a Berlands House of Tools near where I live, so I am relegated to shopping online. Your recomendation will be appreciated.

If your recommendation is Festool, will it work with Abranet mesh pads and with solid finishing discs?

Thank you.
    Bill
    You can operate Festool ETS EC125/3 EQ 5 with one hand, it's very light and comfortable. I use Abranet mesh for anything grid80 and up.

Quote Originally Posted by Wojciech Tryc View Post
    You can operate Festool ETS EC125/3 EQ 5 with one hand, it's very light and comfortable. I use Abranet mesh for anything grid80 and up.
    FWW recently published a review of this sander with the Abranet and pronounced its dust collection only "Fair". Because I have this sander and use it with the Festool sandpaper and pronounce its dust collection "Very Good Indeed", I can conclude either that it doesn't work well with Abranet, or that FWW is completely full of s[]it. I present, you decide.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Dawson View Post
    FWW recently published a review of this sander with the Abranet and pronounced its dust collection only "Fair". Because I have this sander and use it with the Festool sandpaper and pronounce its dust collection "Very Good Indeed", I can conclude either that it doesn't work well with Abranet, or that FWW is completely full of s[]it. I present, you decide.
    Dust collection is more effective with Abranet, basically, almost no dust left....

Dust collection is more effective with Abranet, basically, almost no dust left....
    So you're saying that the FWW piece was basically a hit job on Festool.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Dawson View Post
    So you're saying that the FWW piece was basically a hit job on Festool.
    I am not saying that , I am just describing how Festool sander works...

I am not saying that , I am just describing how Festool sander works...
    And yet FWW described dust collection with the Abranet as only "Fair", just one step above "Poor".

William - I use the Festool 125 and love it. This was an upgrade from a conventional Porter Cable 5" RO sander. The Festool was life changing. I almost don't mind sanding now. I use all Festool Granat paper and it seems to work well.

I am intrigued by the SurfacePrep. It looks great and I'd love to hear from anyone using it....