Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rigid Oscillating Belt Sander

1. Does anyone know the size of the threads on the spindle? I have always had a hard time removing the belt attachment and ended up damaging the threads at the top of the spindle in the process. I know that it is left threaded, but don't know the size. I am thinking that I can fix the problem with the properly sized die. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Mike

Don't know the size of the thread but I solved the problem of getting the nut off and on easily by making a small "wrench" out of scrap plywood. Previously I often put a pair of pliers on it and messed up the rubber coating.

Quote Originally Posted by MIchael Koesters View Post
    Does anyone know the size of the threads on the spindle? I have always had a hard time removing the belt attachment and ended up damaging the threads at the top of the spindle in the process. I know that it is left threaded, but don't know the size. I am thinking that I can fix the problem with the properly sized die. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Mike
    Left hand tap/die might be hard to find but have you ever used a thread restorer kit? Mine came with various taps and dies made for restoring instead of cutting threads, but the it also came with 16 thread files to fit almost any pitch, left or right thread. This is the one I've used for years - hate to be without it: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000P6UNHE

JKJ

The WEN / Grizzly / Triton one is pretty lightweight but decent for what it is. Think the Triton version can be had for around $200 from Amazon.

5. Thanks for the responses. Grainger carries left threaded die....I will call Ridgid and see if they can tell me the correct size. If I cannot get that, the thread files look like a good option....certainly cheaper than buying a new sander.

Thanks again.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by MIchael Koesters View Post
    Thanks for the responses. Grainger carries left threaded die....I will call Ridgid and see if they can tell me the correct size. If I cannot get that, the thread files look like a good option....certainly cheaper than buying a new sander.

Thanks again.

Mike
    I can check the thread on my Ridgid oscillating sander but not until at least tomorrow. If calling Ridgid, you might ask how much it would be to replace the threaded shaft.

JKJ

I checked mine with my thread gauges and it measured M8-1.0 left hand. I'm always a little more comfortable if I can compare it to a known fastener; all I had on hand was an M8-1.25. The diameter was right and the thread on the rigid was finer as one would expect, so I think M8-1.0 is correct.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Also have the Rigid. Looking at the shot of the Triton, it looks smaller? Anyway, every YouTuber I follow has the Rigid, I have never seen anything else.

Personally my experience with it has been excellent, but the dust collection is nonexistent. I ended up attaching a 6" flex hose to the left hand side with a clamp.

9. Thanks again for all of your suggestions. As far as dust collection goes, I use a small dust port, attached to the table top by the small thumbscrew that holds the plate stop in place, available at Woodcraft at https://www.woodcraft.com/products/s...th-4-inch-port

Mike

Dust mod, not perfect but a huge improvement. Larger home made knob is much easier to get off.

IMG_4415.jpgIMG_4417.jpg

11. The threads on the spindle on my unit are 5/16" 18 threads per inch. The model number is EB4424 0 and is marked Built in U.S.A which explains the standard size. Thanks again.

Mike

My BFI* approach to dust collection on Rigid.

IMG_20190715_201644.jpg

*BFI - Brutal Force and Ignorance

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew More View Post
    *BFI - Brutal Force and Ignorance
    Looks like Beautiful, Fine, and Intelligent to me. My solution to the sanding dust is to carry the sander outside to a table on the covered porch on my shop.

JKJ

Here's my dust collection solution and my plywood wrench. The black hose section is if I recall a 4" downspout extension. I can expand or contract the length and bend it side to side or up and down and it stays in place. The screen at the inlet is to prevent small pieces from being sucked in.
    20200217_100352[23540].jpg20200217_100402[23544].jpg20200217_100418[23542].jpg

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Looks like Beautiful, Fine, and Intelligent to me. My solution to the sanding dust is to carry the sander outside to a table on the covered porch on my shop.

JKJ
    You win! That's even more efficient than my solution.

Also BFI is a bit of an in joke for the industry I work in for hacks that aren't necessarily beautiful or elegant, but they get the job done. These days you can't really say Jerry-Rig, Redneck Engineering, or a dozen other things implying certain groups are less capable than others.