Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Rigid Oscillating Belt Sander

1. Very nice diy wrench!! I use a funnel on a 4" hose, clamped to the table using the thumbscrew that holds the metal plate in place.

I ended up buying the Lang thread file set from Amazon (initially bought the one made by General Tool, but found that it was made in China when I received it....not a really big made in USA guy, BUT, when the product description is contrary to the actual product, that is just annoying....Amazon refunded the purchase price without requiring me to return the file....probably cost more to ship and restock than it is worth). In any event, the Lang tools arrived the next day and after a bit of work, the sander is about as good as new.

Thanks again.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by MIchael Koesters View Post
    I ended up buying the Lang thread file set from Amazon...the Lang tools arrived the next day and after a bit of work, the sander is about as good as new.
    I don't think you'll be sorry with that set. I've used my dozens of times.

JKJ

I had the Rigid, and it lasted 4 years before it burned out. I replaced it with a Wen, which was a lot cheaper, and it works fine. No mater the make, it is a great tool to add to the shop.
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

Original poster asked if anyone had experience with Ridgid or Triton. All replies referred to Ridgid. I'll ask again. Has anyone had any experience with the Triton oscillating belt & spindle sander?

I don't have either one, but am looking at them for myself.

One apparent difference is that the Ridgid has a miter gauge slot, whereas the Triton does not. It also appears as if the Ridgid's miter gauge slot is smaller than standard size for table saws, etc. The documentation does not specify the miter slot dimensions. Perhaps someone who has the Ridgid can provide them?

If you were sanding the end of a workpiece, you might want something to ensure you were sanding it square (or at a specified angle) to the workpiece edge.

Andy - Arlington TX

My Ridgid has a 3/4" miter slot (although it is a bit oversized) and while I agree it could be used as Andy describes I don't recall using it that way very often, all depends on what you are making I guess, definitely make it safer for small pieces either with a miter gage or shop made sled.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post
    My Ridgid has a 3/4" miter slot (although it is a bit oversized) and while I agree it could be used as Andy describes I don't recall using it that way very often, all depends on what you are making I guess, definitely make it safer for small pieces either with a miter gage or shop made sled.
    I've never used the miter gage on my Ridgid oscillating sander - I have one on a good disk/belt sander for precision and small parts. I mostly use the Ridgid for hand-held shaping.