Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Off topic forum

Why can’t I access the off topic forum
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Jenkins View Post
    Why can’t I access the off topic forum

I haven't heard of that problem before now. Did this start recently?

What exactly are you doing to try to access?
    When you click on "Forum" above do you see the forum name? What happens when you click on it?

What device are you accessing from? Can you try another device?

Are you using Mobile mode or Full mode?

JKJ

Blog Entries
    The first thing to try is to log out, delete your smc cookies and then log back in.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

It seems to have corrected itself. I had tried to read a new thread and couldn’t access it. I use my phone exclusively and always “ show new threads”. Don’t know if I’m using mobile or full mode but since it’s working ok guess it doesn’t really matter. Thanks

Steve, mobile access can unfortunately be wonky sometimes with this vBulletin forum software. It's a major reason that there will be a change to Xenforo at some point in the recent future...that software supports mobile natively and transparently. 'Glad your issue cleared!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Jenkins View Post
    ... Don’t know if I’m using mobile or full mode but since it’s working ok guess it doesn’t really matter. Thanks
    If you are in the Full mode, you will see a List box at the bottom left of the page with "vB4 Default Style" highlighted.

If you are in the Mobile mode, the look is completely different and at the very bottom of the page are "buttons" for Log Out | Full Site | Top. Click on "Full Site" to get back. I tried the Mobile mode for a bit but found too many limitations so I use the Full site even on my iPad.

Thanks John I see I’m in full mode

We've been hearing Xenforo for years now it seems any idea when that will happen and will there be much of a learning curve
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    We've been hearing Xenforo for years now it seems any idea when that will happen and will there be much of a learning curve
    It will occur, but when is still up in the air. When we tested the software, the learning curve was pretty low. The appearance will be different, but basically it will work nearly the same with better features for uploading photos amoung other things. It will also work better on portable devices.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Bert, it's still on the table and moving closer. Aaron's time availability is important because while the actual migration of the site to the new software is relatively easy and automated, there is other work that has to be done for not just "look and feel" but to insure that things work as expected and to support a few add-in things that are required for maintaining the site and its security. Another site I frequent did the migration this past week and it went really smoothly, however. And the native support for mobile, etc., is excellent.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Bert, it's still on the table and moving closer. Aaron's time availability is important because while the actual migration of the site to the new software is relatively easy and automated, there is other work that has to be done for not just "look and feel" but to insure that things work as expected and to support a few add-in things that are required for maintaining the site and its security. Another site I frequent did the migration this past week and it went really smoothly, however. And the native support for mobile, etc., is excellent.
    Thanks Guys what other sites use it so we might take a peek ?
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

There are lots of them, Bert. And they all look different. The Subaru Ascent forum (ascentforums dot com) is the most recent conversion for a site I frequent and it's VERY different look from, say, the Telecaster (guitar) enthusiast forum I've begun to participate in which looks more like the forums here. (tdpri dot com) The Ascent forum blows away its sister Outback forum in performance at this point by an order of magnitude and I hope that the corporation that owns them converts their remaining long list of sites. An equestrian forum I was moderating on did the switch a couple of years ago...looked identical to previous but worked a lot better. Unfortunately that forum site shut down recently and suddenly after a decade 'cause the funds ran out to pay for the hosting, etc. What's most important is the engine in the background. Xenforo has native mobile capabilities which are critical today and seems to run briskly based on my experience "before" and "after" with more than one forum.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    There are lots of them, Bert. And they all look different. The Subaru Ascent forum (ascentforums dot com) is the most recent conversion for a site I frequent and it's VERY different look from, say, the Telecaster (guitar) enthusiast forum I've begun to participate in which looks more like the forums here. (tdpri dot com) The Ascent forum blows away its sister Outback forum in performance at this point by an order of magnitude and I hope that the corporation that owns them converts their remaining long list of sites. An equestrian forum I was moderating on did the switch a couple of years ago...looked identical to previous but worked a lot better. Unfortunately that forum site shut down recently and suddenly after a decade 'cause the funds ran out to pay for the hosting, etc. What's most important is the engine in the background. Xenforo has native mobile capabilities which are critical today and seems to run briskly based on my experience "before" and "after" with more than one forum.
    looked at a couple .Didn't care for the fancy looks of one of them but I suppose Keith can make it look how ever he wants. I assume there very customizable as far as looks go.
    I
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    looked at a couple .Didn't care for the fancy looks of one of them but I suppose Keith can make it look how ever he wants. I assume there very customizable as far as looks go.
    I
    The default for the software is pretty generic 'forum' and yes, the UI can be customized a little or a lot, both using native tools and third party add-ins. You can see the generic look merely by looking at the Xenforo site and clicking on "community" at the top of the page. If you're actually interested in the details, there are tons of discussions there.
    --

Thanx Jim was just curious to what the new site might look like I'm not tech savvy enough to get into details LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander