Thread: What 12" blade for SCMS?

What 12" blade for SCMS?

I will be buying a 12" SCMS soon and want to equip it with a good thin kerf blade. I have been happy with my Freud Industrial 10" table saw blade so had intended to get a Freud Industrial 96T 12" thin kerf "Miter & Cut Off" LU74R012 for the SCMS. Cost at Woodcraft Supply $107.

Woodcraft also offers a Forrest 12" thin kerf for $208. Not sure how I would get twice the value for that one. What am I missing?

Freud website shows 12" "Thin Kerf Sliding Miter" with 72 teeth, LU91R012 and a "Thin kerf Fine Finish Crosscut" with 80 teeth.

I mostly cut Baltic Birch plywood and various hardwoods.

Any advice for me? What differences would I see between 72, 80, and 96 teeth?

Why thin kerf?

I've been pretty happy with a Forrest Chopmaster (and i'm not a fan of their 40 tooth "all-purpose" blade on my table saw), should be available at $140-$150. Also have an Amana AGE MD12-106 that i really like, around $90-$100 +/-. Bought both slightly used, and no issues with either. Both are in the -5 deg hook family, and i think both are 4 ATB/1 Flat Raker configuration. I use a variation of the Amana (and Tenryu Gold) on my old RAS, very happy with those as well--real similar design. Tried the Chopmaster on the RAS once--was loud and just felt different.
    Good luck.
    earl

my take on 12" miter saw blades is this: you really need to go with a full kerf blade because this implies a thicker blade plate...thin kerfs will flex on such a large diameter blade and make fine cuts difficult if not impossible...this effect is greatly exacerbated when trying to trim 1/64" off an existing cut for that "perfect" fit

that being said, during the 19 years I used my Makita LS1211 (I retired it a few months ago) I used a Freud LU85 series almost exclusively...considering I have never found a local sharpening service worth a flip I ended up using a blade for a year or 2 for fine work then getting a new one and using the old one for things like MDF, and over time acquired enough that a blade was always available for whatever I found myself needing to cut into (rubber moulding, aluminum, etc)

Give the one it comes with a fair chance before throwing money at a problem that may not exist. I have a 12" Bosch DCMS, not a slider, and the stock, thin kerf 60 tooth blade cut amazingly well, way beyond my expectations. I did a lot of fine trim and even furniture work with it before I did something stupid and wrecked it. I cut a lot of compound miter cuts with it on 6" wide hardwood and the joints fit together beautifully. A sharp blade and not forcing the cut yields smooth, straight results. I bought a 96 tooth Freud blade along the way but only use it on stock up to about an inch; it bogs down in anything thicker. For most uses I found a 60 to 70 tooth blade works best on this particular saw.

Michael, check out Dynamic Saw in Buffalo, NY for sharpening. Excellent work at very fair prices.

John

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    Give the one it comes with a fair chance before throwing money at a problem that may not exist. I have a 12" Bosch DCMS, not a slider, and the stock, thin kerf 60 tooth blade cut amazingly well, way beyond my expectations.
    I agree with John. My 12" Makita is not a slider. But I have been using the factory blade regularly for 12 years and it has made consistently good cuts. (Caveat: It's only used on weekends, as Im a hobbyist not a pro.)
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I've been using a Forrest Chopmaster for years...great blade. I may even get it sharpened soon.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I've had a Forrest Chopmaster on my Hitachi slider for several years. VERY happy with it!
    Best regards,

Ron

You haven't really been lost until you've been lost at Mach 2!

Blog Entries
    Tenryu Miter Pro Plus 100T is a wonderful blade in my experience.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

I have an FS Tools 60 tooth on my 12 miter saw . It is not a slider. On my sliding saw I run 5 degree negative rake blades . I agree with John on the quality of some factory blades,Makita saws in my experience come with great blades.

using in a Dewalt miter saw for years...... Ridge carbide. 80tooth....$150.00

I always equip my CPMS and SCMS with a negative hook angle toothed blade. That way I can cut non-ferrous metal along with wood. On my 12" Dewalt SCMS I bought a Dewalt 96T negative hook blade to complement the 36T general purpose blade that came with it.

I've had great luck with both my Forrest and Ridge Carbide blades.