Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Moving a 1750 lb planer

1. I did the same (with the same machine!), except I used a pallet jack once I managed to pry it onto blocks and a truck with a liftgate.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisA Edwards View Post
    A smaller version of this.

.....A smaller, compact version of the above lift might be just the ticket.

I wouldn't need the castors,

I would make it, using bolts, so I could disassemble it for storage.
    You should seriously critique his design. He used a lot of lumber, but the support is really just the shear strength of his connectors. He didn’t use any compressive strength of his lumber. And worse, the base Is really not much stronger than the long grain of his 2x’s.

Think along the lines of deck construction. Through bolts only are no longer code in most places, the beams need structural support from the wood post, also.

Not needing casters allows you to transfer the force directly to the ground. In the video’s gantry crane I would attach a set of opposing wedges at each post to extend the post to the floor after it was moved to its lifting position and I would be hesitant to roll it with much weight as it is. Alternately, maybe add a third set of casters directly under each post, maybe an eighth inch off the floor.

Dado the posts so the 2x base can be attached flush and the posts rest ON the base; then large plywood gussets, glued and screwed would strengthen it considerably.

For the amount of lumber he used he could have made it a lot stronger.
    Comments made here are my own and, according to my children, do not reflect the opinions of any other person... anywhere, anytime.

So Charlie, I challenge you to build a better one and we can compare and contrast the designs, then i’ll keep the winner. Deal?!

Also, what ever happened to this 1750 pound planer?

I agree with Charlie's design critiques of the gantry, particularly with how the upper beam is supported. With load in middle of the beam, the bottom chord of the beam is in tension and the top is in compression. That beam should bear directly on the vertical stanchions, not be bolted to their sides. (The shear strength of the bolts – steel shear strength is about 75% of its tensile strength – is probably sufficient for many loads, if the bolts are big enough, but having the beam bear on the end grain of the vertical stanchion would be better.) There are other problems with the design, but that's the biggest in my view.

I've welded up things like this from steel, and even in steel, these gantries are notoriously treacherous if not designed and used properly. I'd find a way to lift it from below, not above.
    Last edited by Jacob Reverb; 06-02-2019 at 5:50 AM.

Update on the planer. I got an estimate for moving the planer. And the total came out to what a new powermatic 20” planer would cost w free shipping. And the 10% off they hopefully run soon.

So I’m gonna buy new

I have moved some heavy stuff with the 5x9 tilt bed trailer I built to haul my mower and atv. Just took a flat bar, some 2x4's about 2' long, a come-a-long, back up to it, use the come-a -long to slide it onto the trailer, and the flat bar to get the machine up over the edge, and pull it up onto the trailer. Have to bring the machine far enough onto the trailer to allow the floor to swing down at the front, put the pin in and strap the machine down. Drive away.

Sam,
    Did you contact a professional rigger? Those guys will charge an arm and a leg. Piano movers or safe movers or even a tow truck service would likely be a lot cheaper.

I have moved lots of machinery. I wouldn't ever use a machinery moving company. I called one two years ago to move a 7000lb granite surface plate; they quoted me $3500. Its 45 minutes drive, I went to the local machine shop down the road and they sent a guy with a flatbed into town picked it up and delivered it to my place, for $280, i paid $100 for local farm equipment company to send a guy with a forklift to offload it. Lots of ways to get things done.

I have an extremely steep driveway, an honest 25% grade. I am awaiting delivery of a Hammer A3-41 J/P. With accessories and packing estimated weight is in the neighborhood of 1200lbs. I live in an area where the streets are narrow and the homes are close together. Thought about various ideas to get this thing up the hill and into the garage. Eventually I decided the best option with the least stress would be to call a professional rigger. One company offered to do it for $800, but only if I was willing to be put on a larger truck with other equipment on a day they were delivery other machines to one of their commercial accounts - this meant I could not control when they came and it could be several weeks. Didn't seem ideal. The next rigging company was happy to do it at the time of my choosing for $3500 ($4500 if I wanted it on a Saturday). I told them if they didn't want the job they should just say so. Last company I called is asking $1200 for a weekday delivery. They claim they can deliver it within a week of receiving the machine at their warehouse. The machine is currently at the Felder warehouse in Delaware, getting prepped for delivery to the rigger's warehouse. So hopefully in 2-3 weeks I can report back on how things went.

Scott, given your description of the property/neighborhood, it sounds like you made a good decision to go with the rigger, despite the cost and the hassle of finding one that wanted the work and wanted it for a reasonable cost compared to others. I hope you get your new machine soon!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I bought a used electric pallet jack for 1000. Gift that keeps on giving. Dave

Im envious of you all. I think my soul would inexplicably fly out of my body if i paid some schlepper a grand+ to move a machine 10-15'. However, i have had the pleasure of throwing money at a problem once or twice in my lifetime and each time was very enjoyable. A few moves and prices from the last 12-18 months
    Pm68 from Wisconsin to Pit - $220
    PM72 from Michigan to Pit - $275
    20" jointer from long island to Pit - $550
    KF700 Philly to Pit - $350

With homemade furniture dollies and a pallet jack, i moved all of those machines on my own with my 5'-2" wife as moral support. None were particularly difficult except for the jointer, which was lifted onto a tiny 5x8 uhaul trailer with the pallet FACING THE WRONG WAY!! I had to rotate the machine about 25° to then access the open side of the pallet at a very acute angle. Keep in mind the machine fit in that trailer like a glove. Rotating it looked like Austin Powers doing a three point turn in the hallway with the luggage cart. Absolutely stupid. It was 20-30 minutes of grunting and moving it 1/8" at a time to rotate that machine. The KF700 was on a similar trailer, but the chasis of the machine was oriented the correct way and it popped off the trailer ramp on a pallet jack with ease. This is all to say under normal circumstances, most semi-competent and fit people can move these machines without risk to life, limb, or property. I wouldnt underestimate what a few humans can do with the 7 simple machines.

renting a forklift is always a possibility. especially for the jointer/planers theres no good pick points on top. I got my a3-31 off my pickup by myself. But I wouldnt go heavier than that. I picked up machine and they had a fork lift. If the machine were bigger Or more awkward I would rent a forklift they are about 100 a day but they will also charge you pickup and delivery. If you have the machine on your truck you could order the forklift and tell the delivery guy to hang out for 5 minutes and he can take it back. possibly saving some $$

I just moved a 1500 pound Oliver 270D on a motorcycle trailer. No muss no fuss. It's not that difficult.