Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Moving a 1750 lb planer

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Beagle View Post
    You guys are fearless about moving stuff. I just cannot wrap my head around it. It just seems impossible to me.
    And with that said, sounds like you should hire someone and watch how they do it.

Matt Day is onto it!

Yeah, if you are nervous about moving a machine then the best advice is to bite the bullet and pay someone to do it for you. I assume you bought this machine at a good price at auction, so just factor it into the total price of the machine. With that said, moving machines can be pretty easy and safe with a few tools. For 90% of equipment, a pallet jack and a hoist are about all you need to get it from point A to point B. I’ve always moved stuff on a trailer, which is what I prefer. The lower something is to the ground, the better. 1500-1700lbs is heavy, but really no problem for one man with a pallet jack. The biggest hassle with your planer is going to be getting the stupid thing a few inches off the ground. This is why I never place machines on the ground. Everything is blocked up a few inches for pallet jack tines.

For your entertainment.

A smaller version of this.

This one got my old cogs turning. I am taking delivery of a 750lb shaper later this month. It will go on a mobile base that is waiting in my garage.

I'm assuming the delivery guy will get it into the entrance of my garage like he did with my A3-31.

But my issue is lifting it off the pallet and onto the mobile base. A smaller, compact version of the above lift might be just the ticket.

I wouldn't need the castors, if is gets into my garage, just the ability to lift is vertically while I slide the delivery pallet out and roll the mobile base underneath.

I would make it, using bolts, so I could disassemble it for storage. A chain hoist for my needs is only $60 https://www.amazon.com/Neiko-02182A-...gateway&sr=8-9

Last edited by ChrisA Edwards; 05-27-2019 at 11:01 AM.

I would look for someone who owns a skid steer to load it. That said it still needs to be up on a pallet. I have moved a bunch of heavy machines in the last year,my equipment is a Bobcat 753 skid steer,engine hoist ,pallet jack and a steel dolly that is capable of about 1500 pounds. I know most people do not have all this stuff. The engine hoist and pallet jack are probably the most used. It never hurts to recruit some muscle power in the form of 2 people stronger than you and one that is smarter as well. Or just hire the moving done,safer for sure but not as exciting of a story. Good luck and congrats on that machine.

A rollback is absolutely a potential method like ChrisA Edwards mentions...the requirements in my mind are that yes, should be on a pallet with a pallet jack available and it will need to be stable enough that it will not be tippy while the bed is tilted for loading/unloading. The winch needs to be employed to avoid the human(s) from getting crushed by the machine slipping/rolling down the slope. But...if there's any concern, hiring a rigger still may be the best idea.

Great way to pickup/deliver large tools! This is 1700 lbs, albeit over a larger area. $100 for the job.

--

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Whats the deck height?

If you build a crane allow at least 2 feet for the height of the hoist and rigging top and bottom. Harbor freight often has a sale on their one ton gantry for around $600. It is adjustable height with casters.
    Bill D.

Quote Originally Posted by Cary Falk View Post
    I would rent a trailer. No way I would try to squeeze it into a van.
    This. I just moved a 16 inch Powermatic planer easily with a Jeep and a motorcycle trailer. If you can lift it and bolt 4 x 4 skids under it the planer will slide easily. 15 minutes to load, half hour drive, ten minutes to unload. I was done and it was safely in my garage in less than an hour.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    Sounds like a job for an engine hoist. You might need to block up the planer to make room for the legs of the hoist since it likely can’t straddle it. Rig it as close as you can to the hook so you can get it in your van.

Put a couple 4x4’s through the machine and road the bed so it grabs them between the head and the bed - rotate the head so you don’t crush the knives. Use these 4x’s for the straps.

My 18” Oliver 399 is 1300lbs or so I think, and the hoist moves it nicely.
    Amazingly nice planer. A friend of mine just bought one.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Wooden View Post
    I just moved a Powermatic 180 of about the same weight and moved it with a trailer.
    I lifted it up with a straight bar and fulcrum bit by bit at each end (about four moves per end) blocked it up on on 2x4's. I then slid two 4x4 skids with 45 degree cuts (about half width) on the ends and lag bolted the planer to them. I lifted the planer with the bar and slid 3/4" steel pipe under the skids and using 4 pieces of the pipe (2 at a time) rolled the planer off the trailer, down the ramp- I used a comealong to ease it down- and in to the basement.
    Pretty much what I did....with two of us it was pretty easy going.

Blog Entries
    +1 on the rigger. Pricey but they get it done and it's insured.

Hmmmm, I just read through most of the posts and nobody recommended what I consider to be one the best methods for moving heavy things relatively cheaply, especially when you have a pallet jack at your disposal. I rent a box truck with a lift gate, lower the gate, roll it on, raise it up, roll into truck and secure. Reverse to unload. No lifting straight up with hoists or any crazy rigging situation. No killing yourself with bars and rollers or any of that either. Nor paying exorbitant fees for riggers. Just a simple safe way to move heavy stuff that doesn't cost a ton out of pocket.

good luck,
    JeffD

I noticed two probelms with that video. There should have been wood blocking between the head and the table. As it was all the head weight is held up by a fairly weak locking lever setup. Not designed for such high dynamic loads.
    the lathe skid should have been about 50% wider front to back. As it was it is still to tippy front to back.
    Both loads not enough straps and most of them loop around the load so it is not locked in place. It is free to move and still stay within the straps.
    Bill D.