Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best small (secondary) Bandsaw?

Best small (secondary) Bandsaw?

I have a Grizzly 5 HP 21" for resawing, and it's a lovely beast.

Stupidly, I recently sold my 14" Delta X5 (Doh!) and I'm immediately kicking myself.

So now I'm looking for a smallish bandsaw to dedicate to thinner blades & the work that goes with them.
    I have a very old 12" Craftsman, but I've decided it's not worth refurbishing, even though it's pretty cool.
    It's the round-post type, so replacement guides are nearly impossible, and also it has an issue with breaking wheel hangers.
    ------------------------

So... what would be your dream bandsaw, when resawing is not required?

I'm considering an Inca 710 which is available at a fairly good price, but I'm worried about parts availablility.
    Also, I wouldn't be able to add a Carter Stabilizer, which I might want in the future.

And yes, I realize that the 710 is not a "portable benchtop" type of saw!
    I'm looking for good, not necessarily small.

thx.

I sold my Delta 14" when I bought my MM16 and quickly regretted it. I bought the little Rikon 10" as a secondary saw. I had to replace the tires once but it's been a good BS.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

My choice for a benchtop model would be the Rikon 10-306.
    It's a 10" and a very nice saw for the money,
    My Dad always told me "Can't Never Could".

SWE

You had it, you sold it, time to look for another Delta 14”...

I kept my Delta 14'' just because of reading so many of these threads. Not sure what I would buy if I had sold it. Meanwhile it is safe at least till I get the 16'' WT rebuilt.

14inch Powermatic. Because that’s what I have
    Aj

I would recommend any of the 14" band saws. You had a Delta, and were happy with that, so no reason not to find another one used.
    I have an 18" Rikon and a 14" Jet. I like having both.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cutler View Post
    I would recommend any of the 14" band saws. You had a Delta, and were happy with that, so no reason not to find another one used.
    I have an 18" Rikon and a 14" Jet. I like having both.
    Same here, 18" Rikon and 14" Delta. I have the riser block on the Delta which gives more options if ever needed. I think it's an excellent combination.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by John Lanciani View Post
    You had it, you sold it, time to look for another Delta 14”...
    Ditto! Go get another Delta.

I've got a 16" Jet for resawing, and I also have my 1996 Delta 14" bandsaw I bought new. The 14" Delta would probably be the last power tool I would give up.

A smaller bandsaw doesn't take up much less footprint than a 14" Delta and has nowhere the capability of the Delta.

I think I would go with the 20" Rikon. I had the 10" craftsman until I sold it to get some space.

I recently sold my 14" Jet and downgraded to a 10" Rikon 306. (second saw is a Laguna 18" for larger material/resawing).

I primarily needed the space and the 10" sits on the end of a bench. I can lift and move it out into the main work area if needed.

There is a thread here on the experience. So far, the 10" has worked well.

If I had lots of space and money, I would probably just get one of the steel backed 14" units. It would be overkill for a lot of what I do on the smaller saw, but a nice fence and bigger table.

13. Just me but...
    A 14" delta should be easy to find at a good price. There are a lot of them around and available. Since you owned one you know what to expect and won't be disappointed. If you have the room that is where I'd go. If space is at a premium a bench top model could be your answer. The 10" Rikon is top of the line in that class.

I have an old Delta 14" that was old when I got it decades ago. It does okay. Over the years, I've gradually added probably every upgrade to it possible. It's now one of three bandsaws. If I was looking for a 14" now, I'd just buy a new 10-326 or 1412, and I'm not one to normally buy new.

My other bandsaws are a 24" Centauro that stays set up for resaw, with a 1" blade, and a little 65 pound 10". About all the 14" gets used for lately is cutting circles. The 10" sees the most periodic use.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Allan Speers View Post
    I have a Grizzly 5 HP 21" for resawing, and it's a lovely beast.

Stupidly, I recently sold my 14" Delta X5 (Doh!) and I'm immediately kicking myself.
    I did this as well and am amazed at how many of us pull this dumb stunt. I too went with the 10" Rikon 10-305 as it was being cleared out for the 10-306. Unless fence use on a smaller saw is significantly important to you the 305 will do you nicely. For the occasions that I use a fence on a smaller saw a quick shop made solution does nicely.

Rikon Fence (2).jpgRikon Fence (1).jpgRikon Fence (3).jpg
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 05-26-2019 at 11:28 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler