Thread: Need a source For a basswood Jar

Need a source For a basswood Jar

I did a chip carving on a basswood jar which is currently entered into the art contest in Dechorah Ia. I thought I could find a replacement untouched with out any finish or paint. I am having trouble finding a source.
    If anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it.
    I will post a picture of the one I chipped as soon as I can find it in my photo album,

Baswood jar

This in what I am talking about.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Barber View Post
    I did a chip carving on a basswood jar which is currently entered into the art contest in Dechorah Ia. I thought I could find a replacement untouched with out any finish or paint. I am having trouble finding a source.
    If anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it.
    I will post a picture of the one I chipped as soon as I can find it in my photo album,
    I don't have a source to recommend other than it would be easy to turn on a lathe. I've made a number of things from basswood for chip carving, for example I made and sent some things to another carver, the second picture is of his layout and carving in progress:

penta_pl_basswood.jpg bill_johnson_in_progress.jpg chip_gobletsIMG_4183.jpg

I carved the goblet in the foreground on the third picture. I prefer to combine basswood with other contrasting species - even an extremely simple pattern can enhance the overall look.

The last two of these are Beads of Courage boxes, the last one for a special 6-year-old boy fighting cancer.

chip_carved_ornaments3.jpg BOC_A_CU_IMG_5374.jpg BOC_C_Jack_01_IMG_6687.jpg

If you don't turn wood you could probably solicit a turner on the Classifieds area here. Anyone experienced in making bowls, turned boxes and such should have no trouble making one to your specification, especially if you provide the wood. I find basswood incredibly easy to turn.

Just curious, where did you get the first one to carve?

JKJ

Oops, Rick, I just realized that you are a Member and not a Contributor and probably can't see the pictures. Sorry.

It's only $6 for a whole year for the Contributor status - if interested click on the Donate button in the blue banner at the top of each page. There is a tremendous amount of wood-related action here that you might find useful.

JKJ

I do not have a lathe. I wish I did but not in the future for sure.

Thank you

I'm curious where you got the first one. I know at the Vesterheim in Deborah they have unfinished platters and other items for craft folks to finish. I wonder if a Chicago area wood turning club might have a member that would be willing to turn one for you? I suspect you're in the contest at the Vesterheim?