Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Demonstrating the Knew Concepts fretsaw

Demonstrating the Knew Concepts fretsaw

While working on the current build (I will post this later), I took a couple of minutes to make a very short video using a Knew Concepts fretsaw to remove the waste from pins. The purpose is to demonstrate how to efficient this process is, as compared with chopping the waste out. Note that the wood is 20mm thick Hard Maple (it is indeed very hard wood!). These are mitred through dovetails for the carcase of a side table with drawers.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Blog Entries
    Thanks for taking the time with this Derek.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Turn those handles into octagons and you'll like those saws even better. Gives you a feel of registration with the blade and the grip is more comfortable.
    Life's too short to use old sandpaper.

Excellent. Much more efficient than trying to chop all of that waste away.
    *** "I have gained insights from many sources... experts, tradesman & novices.... no one has a monopoly on good ideas." Jim Dailey, SMC, Feb. 19, 2007
    *** "The best way to get better is to leave your ego in the parking lot."----Eddie Wood, 1994
    *** We discovered that he had been educated beyond his intelligence........
    *** Student of Rigonomics & Gizmology

Waste Knot Woods
    Rice, VA

Blog Entries
    I have had one for years, it is the best coping saw I have used.

Hello Derek

Thanks, I only seen you had replied to my question in the comment section.
    No need repeating yourself with below.

Is the birdcage action saw any better for cutting the thickness of material your working there?.

It seems like most folks might be more interested in working with a similar stock thickness or less to what you have shown.
    Would you find the heavier saw more useful for thicker material instead?.

I didn't think they were made from titanium either...I thought it was aluminum.
    I was maybe thinking of making one like the earlier designs, possibly using the guts from a flimsy vintage thing I have.
    No fancy stuff though, just a solid design.

Thanks
    Tom
    Last edited by Tom Trees; 05-25-2019 at 10:25 PM. Reason: Seen Derek had replied to my question in the video comment section

Hi Tom

As others way wish to know:

The Birdcage is stiffer, but it is also slightly heavier. This translates (for me - not many others, if at all, would have used the titanium saws alongside one another) into a less nimble, slightly "stodgier" saw. I don't think that this is simply due to the higher swing weight, but that the original's slightly extra flex gives it a touch more lively feel. Bottom line, they both are great, but I prefer the original style (which is no longer available in titanium).

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Jones View Post
    Excellent. Much more efficient than trying to chop all of that waste away.
    I might add efficient x 2 when you consider the amount of sharpening time you reduce by easing the demands on your chisels.

Have the 3 -3.5” birdcage to keep the mass nearer the blade; certainly deep enough for any dovetails I will cut. It makes the saw feel very nimble. The wonderful blade tension means you break far fewer blades. My only gripe is rotating the blade with tension off is awkwardly stiff at times.
    ​You can do a lot with very little! You can do a little more with a lot!

Blog Entries
    The wonderful blade tension means you break far fewer blades.
    My old style fret saws would break a blade almost every time they were put to work.

My Knew Concepts saw has been in my shop for three years and is used more often than were my old fret saws.

The blade that was installed in my KC saw, when it first arrived, is still in the saw today. It is the first time one of my fret saw blades is likely to be replaced due to becoming dull instead of breaking.

The ability to better control the tension makes a big difference.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

I like the saw, but something is wrong on mine that I've yet to diagnose. When I try to tension the blade with the "lever" on the end, it keeps popping out of the holders on one end or another. I've loosened the length up as much as I can and it still happens. I have to only move the lever on the end part way if I want to keep the blade captured.

Jeff I would send it back, sounds like it’s out of spec. I had to return mine as the ends were misaligned quite badly. They told me they had a jig that would fix it in 2 minutes, small consolation to me but fix it they did. Clearly their QA is not that good but when it works properly you will be happy!
    ​You can do a lot with very little! You can do a little more with a lot!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Ranck View Post
    I like the saw, but something is wrong on mine that I've yet to diagnose. When I try to tension the blade with the "lever" on the end, it keeps popping out of the holders on one end or another. I've loosened the length up as much as I can and it still happens. I have to only move the lever on the end part way if I want to keep the blade captured.
    This sounds like a short blade or the holding screws are not tight against the sides of the blade.

jtk

So the big question for someone like me is, is it worth getting if you use a coping saw to cut out most of the waste and then chisel the rest.
    I am not skilled enough (yet, I guess) to get my coping saw that close to the baseline, so that definitely seems like a plus for the fret saw (easier to drop in the saw kerf).

Derek, for doing curved work, do you use your fret saw a lot? Or mainly a coping saw?

Hi Jason

Unless there is no other way, I do not use a fret or coping saw to cut curves. I use a bandsaw

Regards from Perth

Derek