Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: That once used tool.....

That once used tool.....

A number of years ago I bought a tool that after I completed the project I was working on, it had to be somewhere between another 7-10 years before I found another use for it today. It wasn't cheap and I hope it doesn't break because I suspect I can't get parts for the PC Profile sander. It's one of those tools that you buy it, use it, it saves you and then 2 months later you regret buying it because it's not that useful.

Today I used it for the 2nd time and once again, for the 2nd time, it saved my bacon,on this end table I'm building!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Hi Ken,

For me, the tool you describe is the Stanley No. 113 compass plane.

Having fiddled around with the 113 for several hours to achieve marginal results, I have come to prefer the careful application of a spokeshave.

Regards,
    Ryan

You got good use from yours. I acquired a free one many years ago and have never used it.

Some tools are just that way.
    I have the Rigid version of the Fein Multi tool. I've probably used it 3,maybe 4, times since I bought it. I've been using it a lot this past week removing barn board and batten siding, repairing fascia boards, and cutting out rough cut material from the ceiling of our porch.
    My new favorite tool for removing nails is a die grinder, which I also don't use very often, with a Freud diamond cut off wheel. Gently pry the boards apart with a wrecking bar and cut the nails in between. Lot less rework and damage.
    Last edited by Mike Cutler; 05-25-2019 at 6:45 AM.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

5. I may eventually use it more but so far my Oscillating Multi-Tool is in the used once category. It was bought for a specific job and was great for that. Since then it hasn't been out of the box.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cutler View Post
    Some tools are just that way.
    I have the Rigid version of the Fein Multi tool. I've probably used it 3,maybe 4, times since I bought it.
    +1. I have the same tool and used just about as much.
    But man, when I need it I'm glad I bought it!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I think we all have "at least" one tool in our arsenal that was purchased for a specific project/task and has seen little or no use since. And it's a conundrum as to whether to hold on to something in hope it will come in handy in the future or to sell it off, which will absolutely result in a need for it much sooner. It's a natural law or something.

For me...tile saw...some kinds of hand tools like spokeshaves and draw-knives...multi-saw... Only the latter will likely ever get actual repeat use.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Lloyd View Post
    Hi Ken,

For me, the tool you describe is the Stanley No. 113 compass plane.

Having fiddled around with the 113 for several hours to achieve marginal results, I have come to prefer the careful application of a spokeshave.

Regards,
    Ryan
    I think Ken’s point is that the tool was useful, though rarely used. Sounds like your 113 was never useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    ... It's one of those tools that you buy it, use it, it saves you and then 2 months later you regret buying it because it's not that useful.
    I too have tools I didn't use for a decade but were at hand when needed.

I can't remember ever having tool buyer's remorse. My regrets are not building a bigger shop. (My dinky little shop is only 24x62...)

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    I too have tools I didn't use for a decade but were at hand when needed.

I can't remember ever having tool buyer's remorse. My regrets are not building a bigger shop. (My dinky little shop is only 24x62...)

JKJ
    You have no idea what dinky is until you work in my 24x30 shop unless of course you are the guy with one even smaller!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Once had a Kunz curved bed spokeshave. What a piece of, well you know, the only satisfaction I ever got with it was when I threw it into the creek in my backyard.

But the sad thing is when you have a one use tool that sits idle for ten years and then you find a need for it again, but time has passed and you forget you already have it so you buy it again.

You realize this mistake when you go to your excellent origination skills and go to store the new tool in the same place as the old one.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Patch View Post
    Once had a Kunz curved bed spokeshave. What a piece of, well you know, the only satisfaction I ever got with it was when I threw it into the creek in my backyard.
    I figured out a long time ago that some things are only good for seeing how far you can throw them. Some of those things, that I have forgotten about, are under 45 feet of water.

I'm still waiting to get around to using that scroll saw I got about ten year ago. Its survived through 4 garage sales with no takers, so I think its cursed.

Or you know you have one and it would be perfect for the task at hand but just can’t find where you put it.