Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PVC sewer lines - where does the slope come from?

PVC sewer lines - where does the slope come from?

The recommended slope for the horizontal run of sewer line is a miniumum of 1/4 inch per foot. When you look at diagrams of plumbing, you see vertical pipes meeting horizontal pipes with fittings that make a 90 degree turn. If things were set with geometric perfection, there couldn't be any slope on the horizontal pipes. So how is the slope implemented in practice?

Do people install pipes in the fittings slightly askew so the horizontal pipes can slope?

Or are the vertical pipes not set perfectly vertical?

Or are there nominal 90 degree fittings that actually make more than a 90 degree angle?

Waste fittings have a 2% slope build into the fitting.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul F Franklin View Post
    Waste fittings have a 2% slope build into the fitting.
    I did not know that.
    I do know that you don't want a drain pipe inside to drain completely dry or solids will dry out and a clog will eventually develop. Nor do you want a low spot where water can stand, causing the drain not to flow.

What I don't get is how a guy who taught me how to improve on my gluing technic manages to hold pvc being glue just 5 seconds or so without any pushout
    I get pushout after 20-30 seconds. I always prime and add glue to both pieces. Twist the 2 parts about 45°.
    I just don't get it.
    Last edited by Bill Jobe; 05-24-2019 at 4:56 PM.

Blog Entries
    If you slope all of your pipes properly, they will have no choice but to be dry when water is not running.
    NOW you tell me...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    If you slope all of your pipes properly, they will have no choice but to be dry when water is not running.
    I disagree. Small areas of solids will retain enough moisture that running water will wash it away. Too much slope and more water is released, causing a dry clump that restricts flow. With time you have a clogged drain.
    I think the pipe should remain slightly wet.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Jobe View Post
    I did not know that.
    I do know that you don't want a drain pipe inside to drain completely dry or solids will dry out and a clog will eventually develop. Nor do you want a low spot where water can stand, causing the drain not to flow.

What I don't get is how a guy who taught me how to improve on my gluing technic manages to hold pvc being glue just 5 seconds or so without any pushout
    I get pushout after 20-30 seconds. I always prime and add glue to both pieces. Twist the 2 parts about 45°.
    I just don't get it.
    There are glues that set up at different speeds.

Blog Entries
    Small areas of solids will retain enough moisture that running water will wash it away.
    That statement is contradictory. Are speaking from experience? I have designed miles of sanitary sewers and seen a lot of pipeline videos (retired PE). As long as the slope is adequate to maintain a velocity of 2 feet per second, the pipe will self cleanse. Pipe laid too flat or with a belly will tend to have a sediment buildup in the invert. Unless you get a grease clog (a big one has been called a fatberg by the press!) or a physical impediment such as a broken pipe or roots, the pipe will self cleanse. "Running water will wash it away". https://www.theepochtimes.com/19-ton...r_2661577.html
    Last edited by Ole Anderson; 05-25-2019 at 12:37 AM.
    NOW you tell me...

Baltimore . Fatburg. Sounds like a story only John Waters can tell !

Blog Entries
    Sorry. I somehow was thinking the subject was about indoor home plumbing.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    Baltimore . Fatburg. Sounds like a story only John Waters can tell !
    Mr. Fulks fills my mouth with laughter.

Blog Entries
    Sorry. I somehow was thinking the subject was about indoor home plumbing.
    Same rules apply, just the scale is different.
    NOW you tell me...

Sounds like there's a little over thinking going on. Plastic pipe bends easily. If you have your pipe supports set up so you can anchor the pipe once glued, but not set, it will easily conform to that gentle of a slope. Even though the socket on a modern pipe fitting is tapered there is still plenty of slop, especially when solvent cement is applied, to adjust. Even in the days of cast iron hubs with oakum and lead seals (lead pipe cinch) there was enough play in the fittings to make slopes work.

I haven't looked at a code book in a long time but best I recall, for residential applications, is waste lines <3" diameter are sloped at 1/4" per foot. Waste lines 3" and larger are sloped at 1/8" per foot. I may not be remembering correctly, or the code may have changed, or it may be different by jurisdiction, or now maybe I am overthinking . The easiest way to know beyond a doubt is to call the local plumbing inspector. He/she will tell you exactly what they expect to see.

PVC sewer lines - where does the slope come from?
    Eric - it comes from his hands -Eric of J&K Plumbing.....I tell him what I want, he gives me and estimate & I tell him to make it happen...he does & I pay him.
    I have no desire to know how he works his magic, nor do I want to know.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Blog Entries
    As long as the slope is adequate to maintain a velocity of 2 feet per second, the pipe will self cleanse.
    Isn't clearing the pipe part of the reason people are supposed to wash their hands after using the toilet?

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Isn't clearing the pipe part of the reason people are supposed to wash their hands after using the toilet?

jtk
    What opportunities are mine as I struggle with great difficulty to understand the meaning of your post?