Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Falling Water vs Gamble House

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Neely View Post
    My father in law was an apprentice for FLW from 1934 until he went out on his own in 1948. He built the models for the Guggenheim and the Johnson Wax building. I think the craftsman stuff is amazing but not in the same league with the later FLW stuff. FIL supervised the construction of the only Wright home in Oregon which has subsequently been moved to the Oregon Gardens. He was a great guy and lived to be 97.
    What a great story, your FIL is part of history!
    Yes, FLW has taken some criticism in this discussion thread, but I think anyone would agree that whether you like his style or not, he is undeniably an icon of architecture. In fact, I'd be very surprised if you can google for a list of the greatest modern architects and FLW wasn't on it.

Certainly FLW is on every list of great architects. But who's READING those lists, besides the family of the list makers ?
    And his luster is in part burnished by his heroic fictional self ,Howard Roark.
    Last edited by Mel Fulks; 05-31-2019 at 9:22 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    Certainly FLW is on every list of great architects. But who's READING those lists, besides the family of the list makers ?
    And his luster is in part burnished by his heroic fictional self ,Howard Roark.
    Sigh. Okay, how about if I simply say that FLW was a well known, now deceased American architect.
    Do we at least agree on that?

Sure. But I wasn't slamming ,just saying this is a pretty it's all about us time. And the story of the novel and Wright's
    refusal to drawn into any appropriation of himself by Rand is interesting.

After seeing the many pictures of FW I realize that almost all of them are taken from the same place. The spot the family wanted the house to be located so they could view the falls from inside. Instead they have to wait for it to rain so they can watch water falling inside the house instead of having to go into the basement to see the creek.
    Bill D
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 06-03-2019 at 11:48 AM.

The way I see it not everything “most understand” to be practical or functional has to be.

It’s just one angle and not even my opinion to be perfectly honest but I kinda view falling waters much like art for a architect. Maybe it was nothing to do about being practical, nothing about engineering or logic.

Maybe it was simply about someone with a compulsion to create fulfilling a personal need.

Mind you I know nothing of FL other than his properties. I have done no reading on him hence have no real education. But as a creator myself with a strong background in the arts sometime those riddled with the creative bug just have to realize a idea in the physical form vrs just between the ears.

Thanks Alan for the summary