Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Falling Water vs Gamble House

I for one think the world is better off with architects who take chances and forge into unfamiliar design territory. The results are never going to resonate with everyone, but innovation never does.

I would expect any client that was seeking homey and cozy would not find themselves sitting across the table from FLW, at least not for long.

The world just lost two titans of architecture, both bold visionaries - I.M. Pei and Cesar Pelli.

Edwin Santos,

I agree completely with the statement that the widest possible expression in architecture is desirable and interesting. There is certainly scope for architecture as pure art, that it's not mandatory to be perfectly practical, nor that it should be appreciated by everyone.

Two architect's whose work I don't always admire in every aspect: Frank Gehry, who I've met, and Zaha Hadid, who I knew as a student in the architecture school I attended, have both created work of intriguing depth and artistry, but also others of, in my view, troubling architectural iconoclasm characteristic of deconstructivism that I would associate with that level level of creative ego. The necessity of believing in one's personal aesthetic- and subverting the past in order to innovate, is to some degree a professional requirement of which Frank Lloyd Wright was the all-time master.

Yes, the loss of I.M. Pei and Cesar Pelli are both saddening as was the too-early loss of Zaha Hadid in 2016.

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Caro View Post
    Edwin Santos,

I agree completely with the statement that the widest possible expression in architecture is desirable and interesting. There is certainly scope for architecture as pure art, that it's not mandatory to be perfectly practical, nor that it should be appreciated by everyone.

Two architect's whose work I don't always admire in every aspect: Frank Gehry, who I've met, and Zaha Hadid, who I knew as a student in the architecture school I attended, have both created work of intriguing depth and artistry, but also others of, in my view, troubling architectural iconoclasm characteristic of deconstructivism that I would associate with that level level of creative ego. The necessity of believing in one's personal aesthetic- and subverting the past in order to innovate, is to some degree a professional requirement of which Frank Lloyd Wright was the all-time master.

Yes, the loss of I.M. Pei and Cesar Pelli are both saddening as was the too-early loss of Zaha Hadid in 2016.

Alan
    Alan, I love it when you bring your expert advice into threads like this. I always learn things. Thank you!

Personally, I'm way too unsophisticated to appreciate Hadid and Gehry. I just looked up both of them. To my eyes, that is some seriously unappealing architecture. It almost looks like they designed it that way just to prove they were smart enough to actually construct a building that complex. And they did! The skill it took to design and build those shapes is astonishing.

Fred
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 07-24-2019 at 10:08 PM.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Blog Entries
    And I also have enjoyed this thread immensely. I have trouble expressing myself with words, but many of the comments made here by others have done the job for me. Thanks all.