Thread: Recommended source for oil-based poly?

Recommended source for oil-based poly?

For years my standard finish has been wipe on Poly, made with Minwax oil base clear gloss poly, with an equal part of thinner.I need a new supply soon and my big box stores don't carry the Minwax oil-base any more. Are all oil based polyurethanes created equal? What do you use?

(I always begin with Zinnser Seal Coat, add 4-6 coats of wipe on Poly, and then polish with a variety of waxes. I also use WTF and pre-cat lacquer, but prefer the wipe on Poly.)
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Hi Brian,

I've been buying Minwax wipe-on poly (oil) from Home Despot and Lowes. The wipe-on is already pretty thinned down. I'm not sure if you have been buying the full strength MW Poly and then cutting it or are referring to the wipe-on (thinned down stuff). So I suspect that HD and Lowes are switching to waterbase to simplify their Ca. reporting requirements.

I looked at the Minwax site and it appears they are still selling the full strength minwax poly. So if it is still offered but not in Ca., then maybe you and I are going to have to rely on buying from Amazon or eBay. Also, Rockler still apparently handles the wipe-on oil Poly.

Home Depot still is listing the full-strength Varithane poly (oil) in their on-line catalog. I've used it and didn't form any negative opinions.

Good timing on your thread. I went to buy Minwax WOP from Home Depot the other day and found out they stopped selling Minwax and now carry Watco WOP. I bought a can but quickly learned all WOP are not the same. Watco seems thicker and seems to start setting up quicker (meaning don't wait too long before wiping off excess).

I never thinned Minwax but I started adding a bit of mineral spirits to the Watco to make it easier to apply. I much prefer Minwax and will have to find a new local source (Rockler, Lowes, or Guiry).

Wow, bummer. Minwax WOP is my favorite. I've tried 2 other brands, Watco is one of them, can't recall the other. Didn't like it as much as Minwax. Road trip to Oregon? No tax either.
    Brice, I didn't know there is "full strength" and others how can you tell?

To my happy surprise, they had it on Amazon and shipped no problem. The full strength Poly is "Minwax 63000 Fast Drying Polyurethane Clear Gloss, Quart". It is NOT listed as "Wipe-on Poly". I got two quarts for under $24 with shipping and tax, which will make one gallon of wipe-on, once it is thinned.

Thank you all

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Iwamoto View Post
    Wow, bummer. Minwax WOP is my favorite. I've tried 2 other brands, Watco is one of them, can't recall the other. Didn't like it as much as Minwax. Road trip to Oregon? No tax either.
    Brice, I didn't know there is "full strength" and others how can you tell?
    When I referred to the "full strength" poly, I had in mind a poly that would be as thick as varnish and intended to be applied with a brush. Some people (like Brian) buy that type of poly and then thin it down. Many people thin it 50-50 with mineral spirits. I suspect that if the can doesn't say wipe-on that it is regular poly (varnish).

But the min-wax wipe-on is already pretty thin and most people use it from the can rather than thinning it any more. I usually apply the MW wipe-on with cosmetic sponge wedges that I get at Rite-aid (drugstore). It applies an incredibly thin coat that doesn't sag or run if I apply it on the slowly spinning lathe (like 60 rpms).

Quote Originally Posted by Brice Rogers View Post
    When I referred to the "full strength" poly, I had in mind a poly that would be as thick as varnish and intended to be applied with a brush. Some people (like Brian) buy that type of poly and then thin it down. Many people thin it 50-50 with mineral spirits. I suspect that if the can doesn't say wipe-on that it is regular poly (varnish).
    AH! Thanks all!

I'll put in a plug for the poly from Last-n-Last. It comes in several VOC levels, I use the highest one which may not be available where you are. When doing the cherry trim in our house I re-tested about 30 different brands (I had done a similar test decades ago, but the products are very different now) and found the Last-n-Last product to still be by far the least "plastic" looking polyurethane. It goes on easily by brush and dries flat quickly. I typically use a couple coats of gloss and a top coat of semi, or all gloss and then rub it out to the desired sheen with 0000 steel wool or pumice and rottenstone, depending.

Our dining table was done 40 years ago with this product and has held up perfectly against heavy abuse, the house trim was now four years ago and is going fine. I guess I don't see the point of thinning these products so much-- if I want a film finish I'd just as soon get it over with and "get the paint on the wall" quickly. More thin layers just seems like more opportunity for nibs and drips.

(A favorite refrain from my youth was my father yelling to me up the ladder "C'mon Rembrandt-- get the paint on the wall!)

The Minwax products fell in the bottom third of my particular taste-test.