Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grizzly GO632 Issue

Grizzly GO632 Issue

Hi All,
    I have the above listed lathe that I have had now for 4 years. It’s been a good lathe however over the years I have had to replace the Banjo, Digital Readout and now the tail stock has a 3/32” wobble so it is hard to line up the points. It frustrating. While this is one of their less expensive lathes, it was still a lot of money for me. I am playing around with different ideas to get rid of the wobble but if non of them work, then I am looking at $75.00 for a new tail stock body.
    They’re tech support has been very helpful and professional. Always has been but it is very frustrating to have these kind of issues happen especially in a machine only 4 years old.
    Anyone else with this lathe and if so have you encountered issues with it?
    Jeff

2. I'm not sure what is the root cause of your wobble issue......perhaps something worn out inside the quill....maybe a bushing. You could check the parts list and schematics of that model and see how it goes together and what parts it has, or it could be something underneath that is pulling the tailstock to one side......worth a check anyway.

I have a friend in our club who has had the G0632 for at least 10 years without any problems at all. He is in his 80's now, and turns regularly, albeit not large and heavy any more. He had told me on more than one ocassion over the last few years how good service he has gotten from that unit. It is basically a clone of the Jet 1642 evs lathe.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Hi Roger,
    The problem is not in the quill, it’s where the tail stock rides in the bedways. The forward tang seems to have worn down about 3/32”. Into much but enough to cause alignment issues.
    Jeff

4. Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Walters View Post
    Hi Roger,
    The problem is not in the quill, it’s where the tail stock rides in the bedways. The forward tang seems to have worn down about 3/32”. Into much but enough to cause alignment issues.
    Jeff
    You can epoxy some metal shims on the bottom to take up the slack from where it had wear.

Hi Roger,
    That is what I did. I'll know tomorrow if it works or not.

Jeff

I cut a piece of the blade that fit loosely into the space and glued it onto the tang. Even though it fit loosely, the tail stock would not travel on the bedways. So I need to try some other thickness of metals to see what will work.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Walters View Post
    I cut a piece of the blade that fit loosely into the space and glued it onto the tang. Even though it fit loosely, the tail stock would not travel on the bedways. So I need to try some other thickness of metals to see what will work.
    My neighbor is going to give me some different sizes of shims to play try however I am giving thought to buying a new lathe as this is the third repair I have had to do, so I am a bit let down. I see the Grizzly 733 is on sale however I am a bit apprehensive considering the issues I have had with this one. I am also looking at the Nova Galaxy DVR. Any thoughts anyone?
    Jeff
    Last edited by Jeff Walters; 06-04-2019 at 9:24 PM.

I'm wondering if it would make sense to measure the gap in the bed to see if it is consistent or whether it may be "bell-mouthed" in the area where you usually position your tailstock. The reason why I bring this up is your comment: " the blade that fit loosely into the space and glued it onto the tang. Even though it fit loosely, the tail stock would not travel on the bedways."

This is really odd. I turn on a 1951 lathe that has been in continuous use for 68 years. I can't imagine wear causing this issue. Also have not known other Griz lathe to have had this problems. Wonder if the steel in the bed ways was improperly seasoned?

If so, replacing the bed would be the only repair feasible....and you would have no guarantee the next bed would not do the exact same thing.

10. I’ve never seen the underside of the G0632 tailstock in person. Does the headstock have a tenon cast into the housing, or is it like some others I have seen, where the tenon that rides between the bed ways is bolted on? If it is bolted on, then the tenon that slides between the ways might need adjustment. If it is cast into the headstock housing, then I wonder about the casting, if there was a flaw in that part that caused some premature wear. Highly unusual issue, I think.

Does the misalignment happen only on lockdown of the tailstock? If that is the case, then you might have flexing of the mechanism that locks the tailstock to keep it from moving......new lockdown bar, bushing and slide should fix that issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post
    I’ve never seen the underside of the G0632 tailstock in person. Does the headstock have a tenon cast into the housing, or is it like some others I have seen, where the tenon that rides between the bed ways is bolted on? If it is bolted on, then the tenon that slides between the ways might need adjustment. If it is cast into the headstock housing, then I wonder about the casting, if there was a flaw in that part that caused some premature wear. Highly unusual issue, I think.

Does the misalignment happen only on lockdown of the tailstock? If that is the case, then you might have flexing of the mechanism that locks the tailstock to keep it from moving......new lockdown bar, bushing and slide should fix that issue.
    This sounds like an excellent place to start.

The tenon, or tang as I called it, is cast into the tail stock. The front tang is a little narrower then the back, hence the wiggle. The wiggle I get stops when I lock it down. This is why I was trying to epoxy some type of shim onto it. I am not sure if it is wear or what. I don’t think the problem is in the bed ways. I think it is 100% but the tail stock. It’s been disappointing and even. Though it’s on sale, I am not sure I want to get the GO733. I’m just nervous I’ll have issues with it. I’ll keep you all appraised as to how different shims work.
    Jeff

13. I had the predecessor of the G0733, the G0698 18/47 lathe, and sold it to the turning club......still going strong after 10 years of heavy usage...not a single problem with it whatsoever! I have friends who have the upgraded G0733, and have had no issues either...It’s a fine machine. The better bang for the buck is the 22/42 G0766.....I have one and the only thing I’ve done is replace the potentiometer after 3 years of pretty heavy use. Just fyi.....I don’t think you’d regret either the 0733 or 0766. Good luck with whatever you decide.

I think the G0733 and G0766 are manufactured by a different company for Grizzly than the G0632. Tech support could tell you for certain.
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 06-05-2019 at 5:04 PM.

I'm not sure if gluing a shim in place will work. It might help you figure out how much it's off and on which side. But I would think that it'll come unglued quickly. If you figure out what's bad then I think I would take it to a machine shop (if you don't have the proper tools) and show them the problem. It'll cost you a lot less than a new lathe. Even if you do upgrade that one will be more valuable (and you'll feel better about selling it) if you fix the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post
    I had the predecessor of the G0733, the G0698 18/47 lathe, and sold it to the turning club......still going strong after 10 years of heavy usage...not a single problem with it whatsoever! I have friends who have the upgraded G0733, and have had no issues either...It’s a fine machine. The better bang for the buck is the 22/42 G0766.....I have one and the only thing I’ve done is replace the potentiometer after 3 years of pretty heavy use. Just fyi.....I don’t think you’d regret either the 0733 or 0766. Good luck with whatever you decide.

I think the G0733 and G0766 are manufactured by a different company for Grizzly than the G0632. Tech support could tell you for certain.
    Roger,
    Would I still need to get the bango drilled out to 1” on the 733?
    Jeff