Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ranger and Mustang GT test drive.

There is a generational shift relative to "what sounds good", likely influenced by the popularity of small, high performance vehicles based on Honda Civic and Subaru WRX, etc., and their unique sounds which are completely in a different direction from vintage muscle cars. Beyond that, a lot of vehicle engine sound comes from the intake and face it, today's methods are vastly different than back in the 1970s when big, four barrel carburetors ruled the roost in performance vehicles. So the market for sound now comes from alternative cold air intake (CAI) setups. That's how it is for Jeep Grand Cherokee with the Hemi. The OEM intake sounds pretty darn good (at least mine did to my opinion) when you step on it, but for more growl, folks change out to an alternative CAI. Exhaust systems obviously can play a roll, but still...a lot of the sound happens up front at the air intake.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    You're right about intake sound.
    I bought my '02 Ranger from a kid who'd removed the original air box and replaced it with a K&N. Sounds pretty good for a 6 banger, but my understanding is the K&N robs the 4.0 of power.
    He gave me the old airbox, but it wasn't usable. Looked like he removed it with a backhoe.
    Still gets 16mpg average, but I suspect it did better with the stock intake.

If I had the wherewithal I'd stuff a V8 in it.
    I still think that if Ford had offered a V8 in the original Ranger they'd have sold like hotcakes. Or as Lisa Douglas said, "Hotscakes".
    Last edited by Bill Jobe; 05-24-2019 at 12:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    There is a generational shift relative to "what sounds good", likely influenced by the popularity of small, high performance vehicles based on Honda Civic and Subaru WRX, etc., and their unique sounds which are completely in a different direction from vintage muscle cars. Beyond that, a lot of vehicle engine sound comes from the intake and face it, today's methods are vastly different than back in the 1970s when big, four barrel carburetors ruled the roost in performance vehicles. So the market for sound now comes from alternative cold air intake (CAI) setups. That's how it is for Jeep Grand Cherokee with the Hemi. The OEM intake sounds pretty darn good (at least mine did to my opinion) when you step on it, but for more growl, folks change out to an alternative CAI. Exhaust systems obviously can play a roll, but still...a lot of the sound happens up front at the air intake.
    Jim,

You didn't spend a second life as an automotive engineer, did you?

Back in the early 2000's, the small, high performance vehicle business was taking off in the SoCal area. Honda was not doing well in the market and upon doing research, determined that their vehicles were being perceived as being slower than the competition. Comparison of 0-60 and 1/4 mile times showed that was not true - in some cases they were better than the competition. Rather than redesign the intake or exhaust system and have to eat the cost of re-certification, they implemented an underhood speaker system to enhance the noise under throttle. The system was developed by a company in Auburn Hills, MI. The result was a significant increase in market penetration just by making the car sound faster.

There may have been earlier implementations of "enhanced NVH" but this ignited a boom in the augmentation industry.

There are three components to NVH perception - exhaust, intake and mechanical+combustion. As you noted, intake is a major contributor - more so than the general public perceives.
    "Don't worry. They couldn't possibly hit us from that dist...."