Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shelf fell off wall, embarrassing mistakes?

Agreed 75# is a lot for a shelf like that. Those types of shelves get picture frames and that’s about it. But I’m sorry to hear you learned the hard way!

I’d just add some shelf brackets below the shelf, might be able to reuse the same shelf to hide the wall damage.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    Agreed 75# is a lot for a shelf like that. Those types of shelves get picture frames and that’s about it. But I’m sorry to hear you learned the hard way!

I’d just add some shelf brackets below the shelf, might be able to reuse the same shelf to hide the wall damage.
    Remember that those weight ratings are for a straight vertical pull down right against the wall. As soon as you add a lever arm the ratings don't mean much.

Over the weekend I hung this expensive silk carpet/frame that weighs over 30lbs on a single screw that is anchored to the drywall. I'm concerned it might be too much but have put it on/off/on/off multiple times as I was working to make/run that light above it. So far it seems to be holding fine!

20190520_231517.jpg
    Last edited by mreza Salav; 05-24-2019 at 12:05 AM.

I wish you luck with the 30# on a single drywall anchor but be prepared.

Quote Originally Posted by mreza Salav View Post
    Over the weekend I hung this expensive silk carpet/frame that weighs over 30lbs on a single screw that is anchored to the drywall. I'm concerned it might be too much but have put it on/off/on/off multiple times as I was working to make/run that light above it. So far it seems to be holding fine!
    I'd hesitate to rely on a single plastic anchor in drywall but it has a good chance of staying up. The force on that screw is straight down at the surface of the drywall, unlike nearly straight out from the wall like the levering of the failed shelf with the heavy weight and tiny brackets. I didn't see how wide the shelf was but if wide enough for speakers the pulling force could have been significant.

But maybe put some cushions or soft throw rug on the floor!

Very nice look with the lighting.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    1972 B&O turntable damaged!?! Arrrrgh!!!!
    I almost had a heart attack when I read that. Maybe it can be repaired.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Duncan View Post
    75 pounds is asking a LOT for a floating shelf. Generally I think of them as places to put a handful of knick-knack stuff. If your trying to hold up that kind of weight you need to run steel rods as Neil mentioned. Even a strip of wood is likely not going to work very well with that kind of weight. And the deeper your shelf the greater the leverage. I'd bet the seams wherever you mud up to will crack in short time.

good luck,
    JeffD
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    Remember that those weight ratings are for a straight vertical pull down right against the wall. As soon as you add a lever arm the ratings don't mean much.
    I agree with these, 75lbs is a lot. Drywall just isn't very strong against anything other than straight down.

Most floating shelves are limited depth, rarely are they more than 6" deep and for good reason. I did a couple floating shelves when I started in business and then decided on all future shelves I would do something to break the lever arm, either by tying them into a corner or making multiple shelves tied together or both.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Blog Entries
    Yep, the mistake was putting 75# on a floating shelf. Not the right use for that type of shelf, as several others have said. That is a lot of weight for any single shelf.
    NOW you tell me...

I agree that since you need to repair the drywall anyway - cut out a section and set in some blocking between the studs that can serve to carry that shelf when you reattach. Though a little dustier to cut out more drywall the end result will be secure and look good too!

Sam
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    1972 B&O turntable damaged!?! Arrrrgh!!!!
    This is completely off topic, but that got me thinking about my first stereo system I purchased in 1968 from McDaniels Hi Fi in Menlo Park: Kenwood Trio separate amp/tuner, German made Dual 1212 turntable with a Shure HiTrack cartridge, and a pair of Stanford Californian Beta floor speakers designed and built by McDaniels...so rare the only pic I could find is an uncovered pair.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

Blog Entries
    Here is part of the instructions for a brand of aluminum floating shelf brackets:

shelf.JPG

For your 75# load your shelf would have needed to be 8 feet long and would have had to have anchored it to the studs. Their shelf supports are only for an 8-1/2: wide shelf.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    Not sure why you quoted me Lee? I took physics (and Statics and Dynamics)!