Thread: anyone have experience with mixing vermiculite into concrete?

anyone have experience with mixing vermiculite into concrete?

I want to make a large planter (24 inches square) out of concrete. I did this once and it did not work. The mix I used involved mostly guesswork mixing it up with what I had on hand--some leftover sand topping mix, some play sand and some portland cement. I tried to loosen the mold too soon and it began to crack. When I let it fully cure and tried to remove the mold the crack widened, at which point I smashed it with a sledge hammer and resigned to start over.

I was planning on using sand topping mix reinforced with nylon fibers. However, I am wondering if I could cut the concrete with vermiculite to make it lighter. When I google this I see widely different ratios to use, some saying it can be added to ready-mix and some saying it has to be mixed with another aggregate and portalnd cement, and some saying that the ration can be as high as 5 parts vermiculite to one part concrete. Does anyone ahve any experience with this?

Blog Entries
    If it were me, I would not use vermiculite. I think it can be dangerous to handle, particularly the dust, since it does contain asbestos.
    If you do use it I recomend "going overboard" with breathing protection.

We used that for swimming pool bottoms

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    We used that for swimming pool bottoms
    So how could I determine what ratio to use?

Asbestos free vermiculite is (at least around here) easy to find at garden centers. It will be clearly marked asbestos free. Precautions for the dust are certainly a good idea, and not just for the vermiculite but also the dust from the concrete, etc.

To the OP: you might want to read about casting concrete countertops as I would think many of the techniques used there might be helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul F Franklin View Post
    Asbestos free vermiculite is (at least around here) easy to find at garden centers. It will be clearly marked asbestos free. Precautions for the dust are certainly a good idea, and not just for the vermiculite but also the dust from the concrete, etc.

To the OP: you might want to read about casting concrete countertops as I would think many of the techniques used there might be helpful.
    I actually have cast concrete countertops. When i did that I used a special-order mix and some nylon mesh. I have a roll of the mesh left over, but I am unsure I can place it in the mould vertically.

I'm used to working with silica-based materials, so I've got the lung protection covered.

We used this in college to make lighter concrete canoes for competition. Its an engineering school tradition. I can't recall using any formula.

What about ground walnut shells? Not the sandblasting media but what they grind for tumbling, it's fairly coarse, and pretty much non-hazardous...?

and there's always good ol' chicken wire...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

It's been many years ago and I can't remember the ratios

You may get some insight by Googling hypertufa. Most recipes use vermiculite as I recall. You could skip the peat, I suppose. When we made a couple pots this way, I got anxious and broke mine taking out of mold too early. Wife waited and hers is still intact today. I imagine that was at least six years ago.

Look at the Forno Bravo forum for lots of discussion on this— they are making insulating shells for pizza ovens, but have the same problems. There is a standard recommended formula, but I can’t access it from here. Lots of people prefer perlite to vermiculite.