Thread: Need Hardwood Lumber Suppliers in Minneapolis Area

Need Hardwood Lumber Suppliers in Minneapolis Area

Hi all,

I just found out that Youngblood Lumber in Nordeast closed last week after being in business since 1876. They were probably the main supplier for hobbiest/small cabinet shops in the Twin Cities area. They are where I have bought from for the last 25 years. I am very sad now

Does anyone have any other good sources for rough hardwood, cabinet plywood, and the like in the Twin Cities area that sell at reasonable prices in pickup-truck type quantities to public? There are some good wholesale-only places, but they require accounts, credit agreements, references, and other inconvenient things.

I started researching other options after I heard about the Youngblood closing a few weeks ago. Here are the options I've gathered from other local woodworkers: Forest Products in Maplewood, Siwek Lumber in Minneapolis, Hovland Lumber in Mora, and Woodmaster in Columbus. A friend was recently raving about Logs to Lumber in Inver Grove Heights. Apparently their stock is astonishingly good and wide ranging. They sell to people from all over the world. You have to call ahead of time to arrange a visit.

Hello fellow Minneapolitans...

I was sad to hear of Youngblood closing, but always thought they were difficult to shop, dark, dirty, and confusing...

Discount Lumber Outlet in Savage has a surprisingly good selection of S4S that is very flat, good quality, and fair priced. Unfortunately, no ply or rough lumber, and limited selection beyond 4/4. But very interesting exotics.

Logs to Lumber in IGH is a one-man operation. Kinda quirky. He primarily deals in large slabs, live edge, etc, but does have some dimensional lumber. As Jason said, you have to call ahead and see when he's available, and it's not a retail store - the lumber is piled in his garage, barn, house, etc And I don't get the impression you really get to choose which boards you want - more like you ask for 20bdft, and you get the 20bdft at the top of the pile. But the quality is great.

Shorewood tree service in Watertown has nice lumber.