Thread: Pratt and Lambert #38 discontinued

Pratt and Lambert #38 discontinued

Pratt and Lambert has discontinued its #38 Varnish. What are you using ? I like a oil based varnishes
    that I can use with a natural bristle brush. I am a DIYer who loves stripping and refinishing old furniture
    Now I need recommendations on what to replace Pratt and Lambert with.

I may get indignant comments about this, but my experience is that solvent-borne varnishes are pretty similar. Even ones with "poly" in the name. I'd choose a varnish which you can get locally, in a sheen you like.

In general, yes...oil based varnishes have a lot of similarities, but they also have properties that they are individually know for. P&L #38 was an outstanding product with less amber shift. If I'm not mistaken, it used a phenolic resin in its base chemical formula to get that property. I do agree with that working with a good local finish source (a REAL paint store, not the 'borg) is a great idea and the major brands like Sherwin Williams do sell non-poly oil based varnishes. Sometimes they need to be ordered by the store, but they generally get stuff pretty quickly from distribution or another store instance in my experience. That said, unfortunately, the market for oil based products is waning because of VOC regulations and greatly improved water borne products.

I rarely use an oil based product, but this past week I used Watco supplied by the client (to match existing) and I was very impressed with the product outside of it having a bit more glass than I personally prefer.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

P and L 38 was an excellent product but there are many current alternatives as Jim rec'd....
    Jerry

P&L #38 was a Soya oil/Alkyd resin varnish. Light straw color that did not shift to an amber color.

P&L #38 was always one of my favorite alkyd varnishes.

FYI Formby's "tung oil" finish is a highly thinned alkyd resin/soya oil varnish that has been marketed as something mystic.
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Holmes View Post
    P&L #38 was a Soya oil/Alkyd resin varnish. Light straw color that did not shift to an amber color.

P&L #38 was always one of my favorite alkyd varnishes.

FYI Formby's "tung oil" finish is a highly thinned alkyd resin/soya oil varnish that has been marketed as something mystic.
    Nice to see you drop by Scott. I hope all is well at your end and that you'll have time to share some of your knowledge more often.

John