Thread: Art fair finish

Art fair finish

A few weeks back I went to a local higher end art fair. There were a half dozen or so woodworkers from around the area. What I noticed was the pieces were very skillfully made with nice design, but the finish seemed to be a quick spray and go. I know these folks don’t get what they deserve for the time put into these pieces, but it seems to me finish is critical.

As we all know, the first thing folks do is run their fingers over the piece. I couldn’t help notice the sort of ho hum impression folks had. I was really surprised to feel what little effort was made to the final finish. I know I’m a bit OCD on finish, and spend way more time on it than what could be charged for a piece at an art fair, but you would think they would at least knock down the dust nibs. Just an observation.

Blog Entries
    Folks put the amount of effort they are happy with into the craft. Some aspects are important to some, other aspects are important to others. I like the shape and feel of my pieces to invite people to touch them.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

That's surprising to me, too. I've always believed customers are impressed by the quality of the finish more than the quality of the joinery. Said another way, if the finish is poor why would I expect the stuff I can't see to be any better?

John

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    That's surprising to me, too. I've always believed customers are impressed by the quality of the finish more than the quality of the joinery. Said another way, if the finish is poor why would I expect the stuff I can't see to be any better?

John
    Absolutely my experience as well.

Dust nibs? Geez. I do better than that on shop fixtures and cabinets. And I'm no Bob Flexner about finishing.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Agree... Some people satisfy easily and put premium on speed instead of quality....Finishing is difficult for many WWers.
    Jerry