Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Greene & Greene Gamble House Dining Chairs

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Totally outstanding work, Mr C!!!! Those are going to kick your dining room setup up several notches beyond where it sits at a high, high level already! I guess I'm going to have to make a field trip up to do a "butt test" on them. LOL
    Stop up any time, Jim, you are always welcome.

Matthew has been having fun making pens, he has already sold two and has orders for three more!

Gorgeous wood, exceptional craftsmanship, attention to detail and finish! Very nicely done Sir! Very nicely done!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Cherry View Post
    Stop up any time, Jim, you are always welcome.

Matthew has been having fun making pens, he has already sold two and has orders for three more!
    I'll set a time up with you...perhaps with Professor Dr. SWMBO along to talk honeybees some evening. I'm SO glad that your son is enjoying the pen-making! Hopefully, it will be a stepping stone to continued creativity for him life-long.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

That's sure beautiful work! I like the shape of the "bottom" looking at it from the back. (I dont know the proper technical term.) It really adds a wonderful look. I agree that the color is perfect.
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I'll set a time up with you...perhaps with Professor Dr. SWMBO along to talk honeybees some evening. I'm SO glad that your son is enjoying the pen-making! Hopefully, it will be a stepping stone to continued creativity for him life-long.
    Sounds good!

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    That's sure beautiful work! I like the shape of the "bottom" looking at it from the back. (I dont know the proper technical term.) It really adds a wonderful look. I agree that the color is perfect.
    Fred
    Thanks Fred. I think you are referring to the scalloped detail on the back of the lower apron. That was an Interesting detail to make, since the edge of the scallop needed to be very crisp to look right. I ended up roughing it on the bandsaw then pattern sanding the final shape on a spindle sander since my shaper arbor was not tall enough to make the cut. Slow, but it worked.

These are beautiful.

And 15 is a lot... that is always the thing about chairs. I get one joint cut nice and tight and think, ok, 269 more joints to go! (assumes 18 joints per chair.. might be more and doesnt count the pins)

Feel good about completing that project!!

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Beckett View Post
    These are beautiful.

And 15 is a lot... that is always the thing about chairs. I get one joint cut nice and tight and think, ok, 269 more joints to go! (assumes 18 joints per chair.. might be more and doesnt count the pins)

Feel good about completing that project!!
    You are right Carl, 15 is a lot of chairs. Once I started assembling them I had to take over some of the kids play room to fit them all. There are, I think, 46 mortises per chair. Every joint is a floating tenon except the two through tenons on the lower stretcher, so lots of mortises. The Leigh FMT really got a workout on this project and performed flawlessly.

C44AE3A2-C323-4CA6-A872-2FF52848890F.jpg

Incredibly nice work. I had the pleasure of touring the Gamble house in March. What a delight! Your attention to detail and finish is remarkable. Congratulations on completion of such a complex project. I noted that your original post was right after midnight. Is working long hours part of your success formula?
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!

Quote Originally Posted by David Utterback View Post
    Incredibly nice work. I had the pleasure of touring the Gamble house in March. What a delight! Your attention to detail and finish is remarkable. Congratulations on completion of such a complex project. I noted that your original post was right after midnight. Is working long hours part of your success formula?
    Thanks David. Gamble house is a great tour, I really enjoyed it as well. My post was after midnight becase that’s about the only time I get to myself these days!

Really amazing work. I like that last photo with the entire herd of chairs together.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Zucker View Post
    Really amazing work. I like that last photo with the entire herd of chairs together.
    My wife said it looked like we were setting up for church services.

Here’s a close up detail of one of the ebony splines. The pins are nickel-silver rod, the type knife makers use to hold on scales.

DC98BAEF-C8AB-42B6-91C6-50182328F559.jpg

Wow. Just WOW.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Robert,
    Absolutely stunning work!!! I lived in the Gamble house for a year in college and honestly believe these chairs have truly represent G&G to the highest level.
    Kudos- Bill