Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Greene & Greene Gamble House Dining Chairs

Quote Originally Posted by Bill McNiel View Post
    Robert,
    Absolutely stunning work!!! I lived in the Gamble house for a year in college and honestly believe these chairs have truly represent G&G to the highest level.
    Kudos- Bill
    Thanks Bill. If I got the opportunity to live in a G&G home I’d probably never go outside.

I cant imagine making 15 of something at once. I might have to step away from woodworking after accomplishing something like that. I remember how annoyed I was at times while working on a pair of Morris chairs and ottomans. How did you track your hours? I typically clock in and out on my notepad that has my drawings and design notes on it. I just find it interesting to know how long i actuall spent working on something. 600 man hours is incredible though.

The one photo of the profile of the crest rail is superb.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Kane View Post
    I cant imagine making 15 of something at once. I might have to step away from woodworking after accomplishing something like that. I remember how annoyed I was at times while working on a pair of Morris chairs and ottomans. How did you track your hours? I typically clock in and out on my notepad that has my drawings and design notes on it. I just find it interesting to know how long i actuall spent working on something. 600 man hours is incredible though.

The one photo of the profile of the crest rail is superb.
    Yeah, I’ve been taking a break since finishing them.

I track time with a printed sheet that captures the part, operation, materials & tools used and time. Helps me understand how long these projects really take. It also ties back to how I plan a big project, I like to think through all of the steps before I cut any wood to be sure I have the order right (do I cut the mortises before, or after this next step?). I usually have the steps spelled out already on the sheets, the fill in the time as I make the parts. I’m sure I missed logging some time as well, so I suspect the 600 hrs. Is low.

One of the most impressive and challenging projects I've seen on SMC!!

I really admire their concentration and focus you demonstrated on a project of this scope/scale a lifetime achievement to be proud of! Thanks so much for sharing.

Best, Mike

Wow, very nice work. I really like the detail on the splats.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA- '71
    Captain USN(Ret)

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Thanks guys. They were a lot of fun to make and a lot of work. Happy to have them out of my shop!

Wow. Just wow.

Beautiful chairs, perfectly executed.

Thanks Roger