Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clamps for sliding table

Clamps for sliding table

Can someone point me to a good source for clamps to use on my Felder K700? I’m looking at Macs airclamps but also something like Steve does on his extreme woodworking videos. Something cheaper and more mobile I can take on or off quickly as needed.

Would any of these Kreg bench clamps be a good choice, with some type of t slot nut?

https://www.kregtool.com/store/c29/bench-clamps/

thx

jon
    Last edited by Jon Snider; 05-20-2019 at 7:01 PM.

We use the Kreg clamps and they do a fine job. They're actually easier to use than the eccentric clamp that came with the saw. They do, however, require some light metal fabrication to create mounting hardware.

Thx Johnny, both the 3” and 6” Kreg ones?

That’s what I use, they work well.

An even better clamp is the pneumatic one if use a clamp a lot....Rod

I agree with Johnny and yes both the 3" and 6" work. I got the keg mounting plate and a little work with a hacksaw and a sander to fit in the slots and you are good to go.

panel saw jigs 003.jpg

For cheapskates
    Last edited by Kevin Jenness; 05-20-2019 at 9:27 PM.

I bought the Felder clamp, but did not care for it, use the Kreg auto adjust clamp and a piece of 1/4 thick steel to go in the slot. the slot is plenty wide to allow for the bolt head, so does not have to be countersunk.

I'd suck it up and go with Mac's. They are Martin like in quality and there is nothing like them on the market. Even Martin's pneumatic clamps are second to Mac's. The cost will hurt but you will be happy ever after. I'd take a used saw and clamps over new without. Dave

I am in the process of making some runners for the slots in my Grizzly 623 slider. I am using maple, and have made several feet of runners that fit the slots. I plan to cut some down to about 1 1/2" long and try simply threading them for the Kreg clamps. Kinda sorta like big nuts. If possible, I want to avoid using steel because I don't want to damage the slots.

If that doesn't work the next try will be inserts in the same pieces, or as a third try 5/16 carriage bolts, ot T nuts. The Kreg bench clamps, along with a lot of other things use that size.

Longer strips will possibly be used as runners for jigs.

That's the plan. Who knows, might even work out.
    Last edited by Rick Potter; 05-21-2019 at 2:17 AM.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

I don't like Felder's eccentric clamps. I find them difficult to set up just right. What some people do is to use a wood spacer. They put the spacer under the clamp head to set the clamp height, then they remove the spacer and lock the clamp down. This is a pain. I previously had Minimax eccentric clamps on a Minimax slider. They worked much better.

If you have the $'s I recommend Mac's clamps too. They are very well made, work great and are fast.

If you decide to use Kreg, go to the Felder Owners Group for ideas.

Blog Entries
    I'll second Dave's comment. For me, there is life before Mac's clamps, and life after. Buy once and you'll never regret it.

Mike

Rick - I have the same sliding table as you (Grizzly G0700, their discontinued slider) and have had good luck with Kreg clamps + steel inserts. 1-1/4" wide x 1/8" thick steel bar stocked works perfectly and hasn't damaged the table.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike King View Post
    I'll second Dave's comment. For me, there is life before Mac's clamps, and life after. Buy once and you'll never regret it.

Mike
    third vote for mac's clamps. terrific quality, and absolutely increased the value, usability and safety of my slider. i have zero regrets and think it was money well spent.

Can't find any pricing on the Airtight, Mac's clamps. I see you can request a custom quote, but I'd like to get a ball park price to see if it's worth me bugging him for a quote.