Thread: Heads-up, stolen Thompson tools

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Heads-up, stolen Thompson tools

From Doug Thompson of Thompson tools

"A guy I knew from the club (yes, a woodturner) 12-14 years called me about a job. He worked for his dad for 25 years then took his dad's customers to start his own business and that's all I knew when I hired him. Well, a few things started to disappear the after the Florida symposium a whole pallet of tools vanished... I let him go. When I called the police they showed me a mug shot then his whole story fell into place. ... The bottom line is he stole over $80,000 worth of tools, and the only place to sell them is to you. He can't change steel or flute shape so that helps find the tools.... if you see anything contact me. Thank you, Doug Thompson"

(Hmm..., must not have been a "real" woodturner since all I know are really nice and honest people.)

Those of us who use his tools now can probably recognize them on sight. If you are not familiar with his tools, they are black 10V tools, the construction and look quite distinctive compared to others, for example the way the round rod is a bit larger in diameter than the nominal gouge size and machined down slightly for a couple of inches on the end that goes into a handle. The skews are radiused on one edge and flat on the long edge. The roughing gouge is machined from 5/8" round bar with a deep U flute with straight upper sides. Bowl gouges are a "V" shape. Spindle gouges are in three flute depths, one quite shallow. All tools are black where not sharpened. I could post some photos of some I have if anyone wants.

Perhaps they will show up on Craigslist, eBay, welded into a sculpture, who knows.

I'd bet a nickle Doug would reward catching the thief - maybe even with a complete set of tools!

JKJ

Wow. I must agree that all (well, almost all now) woodturners are really nice and honest people.

Sad. Will keep an eye out for his tools. I like his tools.

One of the first things I realized when I went to my first club meeting was how open and trusting they are. They had no clue who I was yet I was free to roam the shop full of tools without anyone thinking twice. Granted most are older and I think they realize they can replace a few tools here or there but still it impressed me.

I sure hope they catch the low life that did this. Might be better for the cops to find him before Doug does!
    Sid Matheny
    McMinnville, TN

Quote Originally Posted by Sid Matheny View Post
    I sure hope they catch the low life that did this. Might be better for the cops to find him before Doug does!
    Maybe those who frequent other forums can spread the word, and have their clubs announce this to the members.

6. Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Maybe those who frequent other forums can spread the word, and have their clubs announce this to the members.
    I already posted this on WoW, and someone replied that it’s all over social media.....word is spreading. Doug is a great supporter of our craft, so we will do all we can to assist his efforts in this.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

WOW! I'll keep an eye out on Craigslist where I routinely search for tools: Vermont, New Hampshire, Hudson Valley (NY) and Massachusetts.

Doug is an incredibly trusting man! I usually pay for tools with a USPS Money Order. The last time I ordered tool from Doug I called him for advice on which tool would be best. He shipped the tool right away without waiting for my money order to arrive. Now that's a class act!

I hope he has insurance and I trust that the low life thief will be found quickly!

I hate thieves. Low life despicable people, they are. I hope he is caught soon and thrown in jail for a very long time. Spread the word so the POS has no place to turn.

I saw a post on FB about this too. The word is getting out. I hope they catch the thief!
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 05-21-2019 at 11:05 AM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Wow. When my turning club had a demo day for newbies, some of the members showed up with cases of tools that I thought should have been accompanied by an armed guard. Most folks with a common interest seem to be far more honest and trusting with each other than they would be in public. I belonged to a re-enactment group and the unsecured expensive items left laying about was mind boggling. I hope the guy is caught. He probably knows the word is out and they would have to be sold in an alternative method. The cops have not tracked him down?

I posted this to Lumberjocks and the Canadian Woodworkers Forum. I hope that Doug gets his tools back.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON