Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Glue sub-surface

Quote Originally Posted by Bradley Gray View Post
    There is way too much plastic in the world already.
    I can't picture a dolphin choking on a leftover piece of plastic sheeting after a painting project. So I'll just keep reusing it.

Use what works best for you and your's. I also have one of the silicone rubber mats from Rockler that works quite well. I use it whenever gluing something above a work surface other than my main workbench that may not be waxed. I decided to buy it after I was given a silicone rubber glue tray and brush applicator and found them to be easy to clean. The dry glue just pops off of them when they are flexed.

Charley

Those of us with slick bench tops have a different problem, things slide around. Mine is poly which is less slick than wax. Still not happy, bare pine would be great and terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Dawson View Post
    Seems it would be easier just to use a piece of plastic, though, doesn't it?
    can't image fighting the plastic slipping, curling, moving, tearing, etc. maybe no where near as bad as I think
    my bench top is rift sawn white oak with three coats of Minwax water based varnish
    glue pops right off
    top is getting scratched etc, when it gets bad enough will sand down and apply more varnish

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bender View Post
    Those of us with slick bench tops have a different problem, things slide around. Mine is poly which is less slick than wax. Still not happy, bare pine would be great and terrible.
    What kind of wax matters and if you don't "polish it up", it's not such a slippery thing that causes stuff to move a lot more than without. I prefer the BLO like I mentioned earlier in the thread because it helps inhibit glue from getting into the wood fibers which helps make scraping drops and drips off relatively easy, but with no "build", the surface feels like bare wood which is nice.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...