Thread: My air drying white pine stack got a little wet. Will it be ok?

My air drying white pine stack got a little wet. Will it be ok?

Hi everyone, first thread here for me. I've been air drying a stack of 4/4 eastern white pine on my back porch which has a roof. It's been drying since February. Tonight we got some wicked storms and the rain blew in and soaked the end 2/3 of the stack (from the end grain of the stack inward). This is the first time it's been soaked. Do I need to worry? I know it will dry out but I'm a little worried about the blue stain forming. From now on I will rig up a tarp to put on the end of the stack when they're calling for severe storms.

Thanks everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Steinberger View Post
    Hi everyone, first thread here for me. I've been air drying a stack of 4/4 eastern white pine on my back porch which has a roof. It's been drying since February. Tonight we got some wicked storms and the rain blew in and soaked the end 2/3 of the stack (from the end grain of the stack inward). This is the first time it's been soaked. Do I need to worry? I know it will dry out but I'm a little worried about the blue stain forming. From now on I will rig up a tarp to put on the end of the stack when they're calling for severe storms.

Thanks everyone!
    I don't have much experience with drying white pine for pretty, most of what I've milled went into horse stalls, barn shelves and such. But stickered since February I suspect it will be dry enough inside to be past the staining stage, at least in this part of the country. I've had plenty of other species dampened by rain in high winds and they never seemed to be affected - I don't think the water penetrates very far into the wood and dries quickly. You might search the Knowledge Base on the Woodweb and/or ask there too.

JKJ

I would probably be more concerned about insect damage.

The blue pine staining I know about is in SYP and is caused by a fungus entering through pine borer damage.

I suggest you monitor the lumber and consider periodically spraying with an insecticide.

Thank you John and Robert. Sounds like it shouldn't be much of concern. The stack is stickered and well up off the ground. I will update when I move the lumber inside to verify no damage for future users.

Just curious Robert, would insects be off concern now that the lumber has gotten wet or just in general with pine? There is no bark on the lumber and I have air dried other piles of white pine successfully without the need for insecticides.

I read or saw somewhere it is their urine that causes it. Mold is black. Bleach should stop that. You maybe surprised with the color after planing.
    Hugh
    Ezboardwalk Jr
    Ls 3025 tractor
    Polaris Ranger 500 utv
    echo cs 400 18 in cs 590 24 in
    Makita 2030 ( awiting rebuild )
    Hatitich job site table saw
    cutech 2 knife planer

Insect damage has been bad in the past year around here. We have had a lot of rain. It's not the wood being wet that is the problem {regarding insect damage} it's the ground under the wood pile that causes the problems. It's not the moisture in the wood, it could be bone dry and they will still devour it. I think your wood will be fine in spite of getting wet in the storm. Covering it so it don't keep getting soaked is good, but you don't want it wrapped up too tight so to speak, it will have trouble drying. I have had so much trouble with termites in the last few months that the best thing to do is get some of the liquid concentrate treatment and mix and saturate the ground under and around your wood piles to prevent damage. It doesn't take them long to destroy a wood pile. You see boards, termites see a pile of top sirloin.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Siebert View Post
    ...it's the ground under the wood pile that causes the problems...
    I've had some success spreading heavy plastic on the ground, then the support for the stickers on cinder blocks on top of the plastic. Cover the stack with old roofing tin or old sheets of plywood, weighted. The sides of the stack get wet in blowing rain, dry quickly.