Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quality Bandsaw in 2019?

Blog Entries

Quality Bandsaw in 2019?

Hi,

I tried doing some internet research without posting, but here I am. I found the following 'high quality' bandsaw brands: Agazzani (dead), Steel City (dead), and Minimax (now SCM). So I'm guessing my best choice for a high quality bandsaw is Minimax / SCM or buy used?

I have a used Delta 2 speed that I want to throw in the river every time I use it.

I'd like to have some capacity to resaw and I would LOVE the table to be easy to manipulate (like tilt at an angle) without rinky dinky one screw holds everything together type crap that the Chinese tools are so good at.

I tried looking up bandsaw reviews for 2018 / 2019 and I get silly stuff like best buy is WEN or Jet. ??? I'm not buying WEN ever in my life.

It seems like the $2k range is Powermatic or Laguna. I'm guessing both of those are Chinese, but maybe their quality checks are decent? It's also a bit confusing finding an internet price / dealer for the MM16. I 'think' the price is $4500 new, but I'm not certain. I'd have to call, which I haven't done. I can't find any good bandsaw reviews for 2018 / 2019 that aren't targeted towards disposable bandsaws.

Maybe I should just keep my eyes open on auctions and other reputable used equipment dealers.

Thoughts?

Cheers,

Andrew W

it depends on your needs and your budget. It is hard to help without the primary questions answered. If you are in the 4k range your options are wide open. In the 1 to 2K price range, Laguna is seems to be a star these days. I researched for 2 years and looked at my bandsaws in the 1.5-2K range and went with a Laguna. A lot of people seem to like Rikon in this price range also. I looked at it and like the Laguna better.

If you start going to the 3 - 4K range, MM is an option as is the Italian models in the Laguna lineup.

That’s a long post that missing a lot of key information.

What’s your budget?
    What size machine do you think you want?
    What do you plan to do with it?
    New or used?
    Do you care where it’s made?

Have you taken a look at Grizzly? I see a LOT of happy YouTubers with the Grizzly 14" band saw.

I've had a Griz 531B 20" 5hp BS for ~10 yrs and it has been great for my needs-mostly resawing. The smaller sizes with larger resaw ht weren't available then but I like the larger table with geared tilt mechanism. I looked for the Italian mob when shopping but couldn't connect on a used one and the Griz value was hard to beat. I live 1 1/5 hrs from the Bellingham showroom so doing a visual of the various models helped clinch the decision. Worth a closer look. Good luck shopping.

Unless it sold there is a used 20” SCM in the classifieds right now that looks like a heck of a deal. Worth a look based on your post comments. The pictures made that one look brand new.

Andrew, you add Felder and Hammer to your list as well. I have a Hammer N4400, and it is very solidly built and has been equally reliable over 7 or 8 years so far.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the replies!

I'm trying to group saws into something meaningful:

Group 1)
    - SCM / MM

Group 2)
    - Laguna
    - Powermatic
    - Grizzly
    - Rikon

Group 3)
    - Jet
    - WEN

I'd like to know more about Group 1 / Group 2. What are these brands? This is just a starting point. I'm looking at anything 14" to 18". Where do Hammer and Felder fit in? I'm assuming Felder is Group 1?

Thanks again and cheers,

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Parrish View Post
    Unless it sold there is a used 20” SCM in the classifieds right now that looks like a heck of a deal. Worth a look based on your post comments. The pictures made that one look brand new.
    Haha, ironically he is getting rid of it because he is moving to Utah (where I live). I imagine if I bought it and asked him to haul up to Utah for me, he would just keep it.

Don't be confused about the MiniMax-SCM thing...SCM is the parent company and in recent years, they have just brought things more together into a single "range" from a marketing standpoint. The MiniMax name has been around for many decades (and a few other colors). Most of the recent naming thing has been more about decals, honestly.

As to your question about Felder, given dialog over a period of time here, I believe you could put them in your group 1 because of support as long as you compare specifications carefully. SCM/Minimax's line, while being refined over time for sure, has been around for a long time. Felder/Hammer hasn't been as keen on this particular tool, but they did a good thing to embrace the bandsaw more in recent years since it's very complimentary to other tools in their line, just as it has been for SCM/Minimax.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by andrew whicker View Post
    Haha, ironically he is getting rid of it because he is moving to Utah (where I live). I imagine if I bought it and asked him to haul up to Utah for me, he would just keep it.
    Andrew...jump on that, dude! Even if you need to make a field trip, that's a NICE, NICE machine for a really good price.
    --

Blog Entries
    This saw http://www.powermatic.com/us/en/p/pm...-230v/1791257B should be in group 1. The felder FB series as well.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Andrew...jump on that, dude! Even if you need to make a field trip, that's a NICE, NICE machine for a really good price.
    haha, I totally agree with you: it's a good deal.

I've taken that trip a few times. I used to live in Houston, TX. That bandsaw is a minimum of two hotels each way away from me (I'm a terrible long haul driver). Maybe if I tent camped....

At the price he's asking, which is apparently negotiable (wow), you could easily afford the rooms, gas and food and still come out way-ahead!
    --

Or pay $500 to have it strapped to a pallet and shipped.

Heck I if I hadn’t just gotten the MM16 recently I’d be looking for a way to get that one. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    At the price he's asking, which is apparently negotiable (wow), you could easily afford the rooms, gas and food and still come out way-ahead!