Thread: Rainy day = shop time

Rainy day = shop time

I don’t get much time in my shop during the warm months. It rained this weekend so I got to finish a couple projects. First is a charcuterie tray for my betrothed. We don’t often serve charcuterie but by golly next time we do we do it in style. Black walnut finished in mineral oil and beeswax. I mimicked the live edge on the end grain and it played pretty well. This piece was near a crotch and it’s got some nice grain that the oil really popped. She was pleased.

15956AFA-A8B4-49C3-8996-AE6D27F92637.jpgA0BB0E53-EDFB-43EC-964C-E4000F3FD5CA.jpg

The second was a more utilitarian effort. The enablers at the Lie Nielsen tool event compelled me to order a honing guide. It’s amazing how persuasive they can be without even saying a word .

i made a little setup jig to set blade extension and establish honing angle. It’s a prototype and needs a couple tweaks, but it’s fully functional. I’ll make the next one one out of something tough and oily.

4C24263E-BED7-4829-AAB6-1BA0146DBD01.jpg
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Blog Entries
    It must be raining all across the continent. It is too wet to do much outside here today.

Spending a bit of time in the shop to work on some smaller projects that have been accumulating.

A new drawer needs to be made for storing files so they do not bump together. This required moving some notebooks to make room in a shelf opening to mount a drawer.

Also did some work on a couple of handles to make the grip more ergonomic. (making something ergonomic sound more pricey than making something feel comfortable)

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 05-20-2019 at 1:34 AM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I'd get some shop time....I just don't like wet feet....still have to finish the duct work for the new dryer down there...and demo out an old set of shelves....as there is a new set down there...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    It must be raining all across the continent. It is too wet to do much out side here today.

Spending a bit of time in the shop to work on some smaller projects that have been accumulating.

A new drawer needs to be made for storing files so they do not bump together. This required moving some notebooks to make room in a shelf opening to mount a drawer.

Also did some work on a couple of handles to make the grip more ergonomic. (making something ergonomic sound more pricey than making something feel comfortable)

jtk
    i like ergonomic. I’m making a walking stick out of a sapling from my property. I’m carving the root ball into a shaped hand grip. I find carving therapeutic.

Beautiful tray! How did you attach the 'feet' - sliding dovetails?

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Whitehorn View Post
    Beautiful tray! How did you attach the 'feet' - sliding dovetails?
    Thanks. Nothing that fancy. A couple shallow dados to establish location and then counter bored screws from below. I may try the dovetail approach next time.