Thread: Shaker Humidor Console

Shaker Humidor Console

Although the Shakers were tobacco users, I don't believe they were cigar smokers. But if they were, I bet we might see a piece like this at one of the Shaker villages back in the day. Cherry/spanish cedar/ebony. OSMO Polyx hard wax oil finish. Hand cut DTs and M&Ts. Its a little easier to see the curved drawer front and top when you click on the individual thumbnail pictures.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I think the Shakers were clay pipe smokers if anything, but then they did not have coffee tables either. I built a ‘Shaker’ coffee table under the same premise, if they had had coffee......
    ​You can do a lot with very little! You can do a little more with a lot!

Nice work, Phil, that top is stunning. Where’d you find that wood, the place in Enfield?

Thanks for sharing, have a great summer.

Kevin

Kevin: Thanks! The top was interestingly enough given to me as a gift for buying a SawStop: can't recall the vendor, but it was online and they offered a $100 of free merchandise: I chose the curly cherry. I am trying to enjoy every last drop of Spring before I get to Summer! Best Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Adams View Post
    Nice work, Phil, that top is stunning. Where’d you find that wood, the place in Enfield?

Thanks for sharing, have a great summer.

Kevin

Give that man a ceegar! Nicely done - top is beautiful. And I like what I think is a fixed false top that seals the drawer when it's shut. Nice way to solve the humidification problem with drawers. Spanish cedar liner? Workmanship is great, and the curved front is subtle and very nice. Back in 99 I bought the first 300M that was available. Took it home and lined the glove box with Spanish cedar. Can't have too many humidors.

Blog Entries
    That is a sweet little table. The violin tuner peg as a pull is a visual treat. Nicely done. Is the false front being spaced away from the drawer box something to do with it being a humidor?
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Appreicate the kind words! Wait: a glove box humidor: Brilliant! By the way, the drawer box is solid Spanish cedar: no liner involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Carey View Post
    Give that man a ceegar! Nicely done - top is beautiful. And I like what I think is a fixed false top that seals the drawer when it's shut. Nice way to solve the humidification problem with drawers. Spanish cedar liner? Workmanship is great, and the curved front is subtle and very nice. Back in 99 I bought the first 300M that was available. Took it home and lined the glove box with Spanish cedar. Can't have too many humidors.

Thanks! Gap is exactly that: cherry false front wants to live at ambient RH of around 45% while the spanish cedar drawer front is living at a much higher RH. The gap allows for air circulation so the two panels can co-exist.

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    That is a sweet little table. The violin tuner peg as a pull is a visual treat. Nicely done. Is the false front being spaced away from the drawer box something to do with it being a humidor?