Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Festool Domino 700 series / and vacumn

Quote Originally Posted by Jared Sankovich View Post
    This..

I have the 700 with the senica adaptor, 4mm to 14mm dominos. I see no real need for the 500 when one can do the job of both.

Feed back i’ve Gotten from three other guys who have 500’s is the 700 is really big and generally , unless you built a lot of gates or doors the 700 would be over kill and well just a bigger tool to use.

I like the alignment pins on 700 much better than those paddles on 500.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Girouard View Post
    Feed back i’ve Gotten from three other guys who have 500’s is the 700 is really big and generally , unless you built a lot of gates or doors the 700 would be over kill and well just a bigger tool to use.
    I have both, because they each have their good points, and the 700 is bigger and heavier than the 500.

All the Festool CT's have the same power. The Mini and Midi have a little less power but I'm sure would handle either the 500 or 700XL also and certainly be more portable. I am a huge supporter of Festool's vacs. I believe they beat any others I've used over the years. Cutting a Domino mortise may produce a lot of dust but it does produce chips that build up quickly so a good vac is important for accurate work.

I would never use the 700 for smaller, 500 size work. The two are really different tools and designed to do different size projects. I'm sure that you would see that once you start trying to use the 700 with adapter and 500 bits. Trying to keep the 700 in place when you doing smaller work could be difficult. I own both and rarely use the 700. However, I use the 500 much more and wouldn't trade it for the 700 on the work I do with it. I understand that others disagree, but I believe in using the tool designed for the job and the 700 just isn't designed with the smaller projects in mind; and I mean like smaller drawers, boxes. I did all my work with the 500 until I finally broke down and bought the 700. The 500 will do much larger projects than you might think.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Heinemann View Post
    All the Festool CT's have the same power. The Mini and Midi have a little less power but I'm sure would handle either the 500 or 700XL also and certainly be more portable. I am a huge supporter of Festool's vacs. I believe they beat any others I've used over the years. Cutting a Domino mortise may produce a lot of dust but it does produce chips that build up quickly so a good vac is important for accurate work.

I would never use the 700 for smaller, 500 size work. The two are really different tools and designed to do different size projects. I'm sure that you would see that once you start trying to use the 700 with adapter and 500 bits. Trying to keep the 700 in place when you doing smaller work could be difficult. I own both and rarely use the 700. However, I use the 500 much more and wouldn't trade it for the 700 on the work I do with it. I understand that others disagree, but I believe in using the tool designed for the job and the 700 just isn't designed with the smaller projects in mind; and I mean like smaller drawers, boxes. I did all my work with the 500 until I finally broke down and bought the 700. The 500 will do much larger projects than you might think.

Good to know Randy , and all you others for your input.

I think we’ll go with the 500 and the mid sized vacumn.
    Although so far on the Festool site or amazon I haven’t found a package deal for a 500 with a vac , just the 700 I linked earlier.

Thanks again guys!

I used my old CT22 with my Domino 700, works fine. I suspect any of the vac's would work.

I use the 700 with the seneca small mortice kit. Allows me to use it from 1/2" and up.

Good to know Randy , and all you others for your input.

I think we’ll go with the 500 and the mid sized vacumn.
    Although so far on the Festool site or amazon I haven’t found a package deal for a 500 with a vac , just the 700 I linked earlier.

Thanks again guys!
    Which Festool site are you looking at ? Go to the page of the Domino you want, and on the right it should give you the option of including a vac for 10% off. That screen shot from amazon was exactly Festools price for the 700 plus 10% off the vac. You only get a discount on the vac.

Marty

There are a number of Festool vendors that sell online. They should all sell the same Festool products at the same prices as Festool products are not sold with discounts except for those authorized by Festool like the CT/Tool combo price. One is Festoolproducts.com (which is ToolNut.com). Festoons-Online.com is another. Beaver Industrial Tools is another. Most of them should have free shipping. I tend to look for online tool vendors other than Amazon because they give great service also and the prices are the same anyway.

So if one drinks the Koolaide , what vac would one get to go along with the 700 series Domino?
    Either Midi or CT26 will work well. Amount of sawdust produced by the 700 is rather small; your choice should be driven by other tools you will attach to it in the future.
    Sanders and even TS55 will work well with either, routers, Kapex would require CT26 at least.

I am sure you will be happy with the 500. But let me add as someone who actually does a lot of smaller work with the 700 and the Seneca adapter and 5mm bit, It works fine. I owned the 500 before and have used both. I think the claims of the 700 not being appropriate for smaller work are theoretical statements and just not true. The 500 is only marginally more comfortable than the 700 in most cases.

I am speaking as a hobbyist, not a pro who may be doing this every day and might appreciate the marginal difference. But then again, a pro would probably appreciate the ability to use big and deep tenons for tables and the like.

I have the 700 and find it awkward for smaller work. What I would have preferred is the Goldilocks 600 model.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Nagle View Post
    I have the 700 and find it awkward for smaller work. What I would have preferred is the Goldilocks 600 model.

LOL, We settled on the 500 with a Midi vac and a sustainer full of Domino’s!

When does the Goldilock’s 600 get released?? ;-)) It sounds like the perfect tool!

Seems like the best choice for the work you plan to use it for. I have never regretted buying the Domino. It is a great tool and the 500 works well for smaller work like you indicated you are doing.

When does the Goldilock’s 600 get released?? ;-)
    I would have bought a Domino years before I did if Festool made the Goldilocks model instead. I ended up going with the 700 because I had an entry door to build. I never did build the door, but as I was designing and planning, it became clear that for 1-3/4" door rails and stiles, doubled up 10mm Dominos are a better way to go than 14mm Dominos.

A model 600 that handles 6mm to 12mm Dominos and has the ergonomics of the 700 would be the Goldilocks model. Are you listening Festool?

I'm glad I got the 700 because I've used it for some big projects, e.g. chunky benches for the waiting room of a Brazilian Jiu Jitsu gym (lots of doug fir 4x4s). I have the Seneca adapter and plate and it works fine, but it is definitely too heavy for smaller work. Then I built a Domino Dock for it per the Ramon Valdez plans. This allows you to bring the work to the tool and takes the weight out of the equation for a lot of smaller work. Still haven't ruled out the 500, but I don't feel an urgent need for it with this setup. YMMV.

--Jim