Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What's the easiest way to reduce thickness in a large top by 1.5mm

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Ditch the casters and use adjustable height fixed legs. I think they make adjustable height casters. no idea on minimum/maximum heights. how tall are your casters now.
    Bil lD.
    4". I would love adjustable height casters, but haven't found ones that will work.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

I took the advice and mortised the casters. The table is now 2mm lower than the table saw, and all is good.

Thanks for all the good advice.

If someone knows of good adjustable height casters, I'd still love to know.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Alan, the casters on my Adjust-A-Bench are adjustable in height, but it's not normal to leave the bench resting solely on the wheels relative to stability. The adjustability comes from the wheels being suspended from a threaded stud/bolt that is fixed at heigh by turning the stud/bolt. I do leave the wheels "engaged" with the floor, but only for additional stability while it's parked. It's not raised up so the wheels can roll it around. Now for an auxiliary outfeed/worktable like you have, you could use the same technique, buy having screw down feet that you would get to the floor while the table is parked. I did that on our mobile kitchen island...while the 4" double locking casters are supporting the weight, the screw down feet insure it stays put more than the locked casters can do.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Rockler and Woodcraft sell workbench casters that will raise the bench legs off the floor when you want to move the bench. When the bench is in place you can lower the legs to the floor. I installed them on my bench and they work okay for those few times I want to move the bench out of the way. When I'm working on the bench, the legs are resting on the floor instead of the casters. The levers on the casters can be a little hard to raise and lower the bench because of the weight, but I don't move the bench very often.
    Rockler Workbench Casters, 4 Pack