Thread: 16" JD Wallace Bandsaw vs Rikon 10-325

16" JD Wallace Bandsaw vs Rikon 10-325

A 1922 16" JD Wallace Bandsaw came up nearby on Craigslist nearby for $300. I've got a Rikon 10-325 bandsaw that I'm happy with, but the Wallace is 2" more in throat capacity than the Rikon, and I have a weakness for old iron (have a Dewalt MBF and an old Montgomery Wards 4" jointer). How do the old JD Wallace's stack up against the newer saw that I have? My weakness for the appearance of classic tools does not extend to taking a big step down in performance.

I did some hunting around on the web, and there's anot a lot on them, though the table looks like thin steel rather than the Rikon's cast aron, and I'd have to rig something up for my Kreg fence since there isn't the 'lip' that a cast iron table would have.

I mostly use the bandsaw for straight cuts, ripping lumber to width with a Kreg fence.

make sure it has the speed for wood cutting .. Some are metal only? Does it use ball bearings or sleeve?
    Bil lD.

Does it look like this one?
    http://vintagemachinery.org/photoind....aspx?id=18347
    \

I'm asking the seller for info on speed and the bearing types, I'll see what he comes back with.

The saw looks a lot like the picture on the link, except the upper guard covers all of the wheel. It's got a pattern of radial perforations, somewhat similar to a Yates snowflake.

There's not a lot on the web about these. What I have found is that they're very solidly built, but the stamped steel wheels are less than awesome, and the same for the guides. It seems that I'm probably better off sticking with my Rikon.