Thread: Lubricating wood and metal vise screws

Lubricating wood and metal vise screws

Just a heads up for those using wooden and steel screws in vises, etc. I do not know how it would fare in machines, such as a tablesaw.

I’ve been using Selley’s Ezy Glide for a while now. The active ingredient is PTFE (Teflon). It seems to do a good job of smoothing the passing of a screw. So far I used it on wooden screws in a leg vise and Moxon vise, and the steel screw of the end vise. It dries clear and does not get greasy or attract sawdust.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Both new wood and steel screws need to ‘run’ in to remove their burrs and become silky smooth. It may be subjective of course but old screw devices do seem smoother in use. I have resisted Teflon to help with this process, but at some point will use it.
    Rust resistance is another issue, depending on where you live an oil with Teflon might be a good option.

in the past beeswax was used on wood screws as it was harder and resisted wood dust collection a little better. I routinely use a beeswax block to pull a screw thread across before installation, the heat generated by the friction on screwing melts the wax and aids smooth insertion.
    ​You can do a lot with very little! You can do a little more with a lot!

William, I can imagine work hardening burnishing surfaces and making them smoother, as you say. Nevertheless, this Teflon-based spray has improved my wooden and steel screws, which are all several years old.

In my experience, wax and oil tend to attract and hold dust. A wax like Renaissance is my choice among waxes. The advantage of the product I linked (which I believe is available in the USA, or find something similar) is that it can be sprayed on. It get into areas where wiping is difficult.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Looks like an equivalent in the US is Blasters Dry Lube w/Teflon. Just looked at the safety sheet and no mention of Silicone. Might pick up some on the way home tomorrow.

Blog Entries
    One thing not to use on wooden threads is mineral or other wood treatment oils. It can make the wood swell which in turn makes the screw and nut very tight. DAMHIKT!

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I like the bees wax. Strange stuff that seems sticky but is really slick and long lasting on wood.

I found this teflon spray on Amazon. Perhaps better availability for US users.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    I like the bees wax. Strange stuff that seems sticky but is really slick and long lasting on wood.
    I tried bees wax but found that paraffin wax worked better. The bees wax was a bit "sticky" and the work didn't slide as well as with the paraffin.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Thanks for the tips. My Lee Valley twin screw chatters like crazy when opened very far. I’ve tried a number of solutions including parroting, beeswax, and lithium grease. I’ll try a Teflon based product and see how that works.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

I made a mixture of white spirit and parrafin in a spray bottle. Gotta keep it warm, but it definitely did the trick...