Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grizzly G0800 and McNaughton Coring System

Grizzly G0800 and McNaughton Coring System

I recently obtained a G0800 and went to use my McNaughton coring system for the first time with this lathe. To my dismay, I found that the banjo for the G0800 does not allow the McNaughton post to be placed high enough so that the cutter is at the center height of the spindle; it's about 1.5" low. Any ideas of how to resolve this issue without having to replace the banjo? Thanks.

Ed,

Either buy the correct post for a 24" swing lathe or just put a plug 1.5" long or whatever distance you need into the banjo.
    Member Turners Anonymous Pittsburgh, PA

David:
    I looked for a longer post for the McNaughton, but only see a 6" post, which is what I have. Do you know of a source for a longer post that is specific for the McNaughton?

I'm not sure what you mean by a "plug"; can you elaborate. Thanks.

4. The longer post is what you need. You could likely get a 1” post from a local machine shop. 1” round bar stock is pretty common. If it needs to be threaded to fit the head, they can do that also, so take your setup with you to the machine shop. Congrats on the G0800.....it is a fine beast of a lathe!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Don't know about where to find a longer post.

Plug means put something solid close to the diameter of you banjo hole (I assume it's 1" diameter) into the banjo to the correct height that will allow your current post to be at the correct height. Quick & easy fix if you don't have any steel round stock in the shop would be drop as many quarters into the banjo hole until you get the right height.

Ed,

Hey, Sorry but I'm "all wet" with the plug idea. I have the Oneway system and they use a plug inside the posts along with an adjustable screw & locking nut to get height adjustability between different lathe swing heights. I forgot the Mac doesn't have a treaded hole on the bottom side. Been awhile since I messed around with the Mac.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Weingarden View Post
    I recently obtained a G0800 and went to use my McNaughton coring system for the first time with this lathe. To my dismay, I found that the banjo for the G0800 does not allow the McNaughton post to be placed high enough so that the cutter is at the center height of the spindle; it's about 1.5" low. Any ideas of how to resolve this issue without having to replace the banjo? Thanks.
    Call Craft Supplies to see if there is a longer post. They asked me what lathe I had and when I told them it is a Robust AB they said that I needed the long post. I'm not sure what the length is, but it's hard to imagine needing a post that is longer than that. It wouldn't be too difficult to turn a recess for the setscrew in a one inch diameter steel bar.
    Bill

Bill - I'll check with Craft Supply.

David - just an FYI if you're not familiar with the G0800 banjo. In comparison to the Oneway banjo, the vertical part where the post inserts is not as tall on the G0800. As such, the tightening bolt is lower down and therefore won't secure my post at the height I need it at.

FYI, when I got my new lathe and needed a longer post, I got one through Craft Supply. For some reason the portion that fit into the head, was too long and needed to be reworked a bit. I don't KNOW this but what I THINK the deal was a I received an older post for a newer head (McNaughton has changed a few things over the years). I was able to turn a bit off the top end of the post with a metal lathe, a few touches with a angle dringer would likely have done the same thing and quicker to boot.

Thanks for the input/suggestion Tony.

One down side to the Grizzly lathes is the short banjo. No clue as to why they make is so short other than maybe wanting you to buy just their tool rests, but I have no idea what rests they sell. Personally, I would get a new banjo. I would have concerns with the longer post getting bent with heavy duty use, especially if you have catches...

robo hippy

12. Quote Originally Posted by Reed Gray View Post
    One down side to the Grizzly lathes is the short banjo. No clue as to why they make is so short other than maybe wanting you to buy just their tool rests, but I have no idea what rests they sell. Personally, I would get a new banjo. I would have concerns with the longer post getting bent with heavy duty use, especially if you have catches...

robo hippy
    Reed, the G0800 does NOT have a short banjo. The larger, and second iteration of the G0766 banjo did have the banjo neck lowered by about 5/8” from the too small original to make it work with the stock toolrest that came with that lathe. I have both models, and for me, it was one of the best investments I made to get the “custom” Robust rests at 8.75” total height, as the G0800 came with a stock 8.75” rest, and my rests work with both large lathes. No vibrations, no slipping, nothing but solid lockdown and premium performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post
    Reed, the G0800 does NOT have a short banjo. The larger, and second iteration of the G0766 banjo did have the banjo neck lowered by about 5/8” from the too small original to make it work with the stock toolrest that came with that lathe. I have both models, and for me, it was one of the best investments I made to get the “custom” Robust rests at 8.75” total height, as the G0800 came with a stock 8.75” rest, and my rests work with both large lathes. No vibrations, no slipping, nothing but solid lockdown and premium performance.
    Roger, I looked at the G0800 and am inclined to agree with Reed. The banjo might be designed to work with Grizzly tool rests, but it seems to be a disadvantage to not work with any off-the-shelf tool rest. Fortunately, Robust will custom build their tool rests, but the support of a taller banjo would certainly be more desirable for situations such as coring.
    Bill

I had several people that wanted my inside bowl rests for the Grizzly lathes, but the posts were too short. They fit all other lathes 24 inch swing range, fine. I have never turned on one of them.

robo hippy

15. Brings up an interesting discussion. A fully, completely functional, and well built banjo that works fine with the lathe design, and is made by the same company that makes the Powermatic lathes...the Harvey Industries Co., and the G0800 is identical to the flagship Harvey Turbo-60 unit, with the exception of the A/C three phase motor vs. the 3 hp D/C motor.

The G0800 is comparable in size class to the PM 4224b, but does not have the venturi system, the lights, which I did not want anyway. I hear nobody complaining about Powematic banjos. Makes me ponder the responsibility of the manufacturers.....should they be required to make all models of lathes to accommodate any possible aftermarket accessory? I find that for the price point, and quality, and also the heavy build of the G0800, that value and performance can’t be beat!

I’ve turned on the Robust American Beauty and at the last Virginia symposium last fall, they had one there. Great lathe for sure, and I could have gotten one [was actually saving for one] and really got to seriously looking at the build of the G0800, Oneway 2436, and the Robust AB. After a lot of thought, pulled the trigger on the G0800. My feeling today after more than a year, with some heavy turning......I would do it again today, just based on the performance and build.

The Robust AB is a fine machine.....who knows, I may eventually get one, but based on my personal experience with a couple of sessions on it, and also on the Serious SL2542, the performance of the G0800 is right there, comparable to both.

I still maintain that the banjo is well built, perfectly suitable for the lathe design, and not too short. If one is looking to have the manufacturer make something that will fit all possible lathes and scenarios......I think that is a bit of a stretch, and unrealistic.