Thread: Delta 50-760 Canister Filter direction

Delta 50-760 Canister Filter direction

Hi,

I recently picked up a used 1.5hp Delta 50-760 dust collector. I plan on adding a super dust deputy and a canister filter instead the stock dust poof bag. 2 questions:

My question is for the mounting of filter. Can I mount the filter so it’s pointed “down” instead of up? I have height issues in my basement so I don’t want to mount above the impeller housing (where the current bag filter is). I’ll figure out a way to cap the top and the have some kind of clean out below the filter (bag/bucket?). Most cyclones systems seem to have the filter mounted this way so I assume it’s not an issue. Any model suggestions? The inside diameter is ~15 5/8”.

As per my previous thread regarding duct sizes. Suggestions were to use 6” as much as I could but the SDD as well as the impeller only have 5” inlets. So I’ll have 5” to 6” reducer to the top of the SDD and then running about 8’ flex out of the SDD 5” inlet to the tool (moved around tool to tool). Does 6” still make sense here - 5” SDD inlet —> 6” flex —> reduced to 4” tool connection?

I've mounted the filter on the top and the bottom. My new shop ceiling was lower so I tried mounting below initially. It worked fine but I didnt like it so I shortened the posts, and removed the wheels on the base and now its back on the top, with the cleanout bag on the bottom. Note: I use 5in hose as seen in the picture.

IMG_2091.jpg

Thanks Mark. Any reason why didn’t you like it mounted below?

Brett, my cartridge filter doesn't have a hole in the bottom so no place to mount the cleanout bag which is useless on the top. It was just easier to go back to the other format than to close off the top and cut a hole in my filter or get a new filter. My other issue was with the filter pointing down my barrel and SDD had to be pushed to the right which put a lot of stain on the connections.

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Harris View Post
    I have height issues in my basement so I don’t want to mount above the impeller housing (where the current bag filter is).
    The Wynn filter for this unit is much shorter than the filter bag that comes with the 50-760, so that might help to address your height issues.
    And there was trouble, taking place...

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Wurster View Post
    The Wynn filter for this unit is much shorter than the filter bag that comes with the 50-760, so that might help to address your height issues.
    Ya that bag is huge. I have a 68" bulkhead that it needs to clear so that's why I'm mounting it underneath. Otherwise I'd just keep it on top and call it a day. By the time I raise it up to fit the SDD and dust bin I wouldn't be left with much room for a top mounted filter.

The SDD doesn't have to go underneath. For years I ran mine with the intake facing up (so motor facing down) and 6" HVAC pipe in a U-shape going to the SDD that sat beside the DC. My SDD has a 6" top outlet; yours might be different; same principle applies though. Obviously there's some efficiency loss there, but it still worked pretty well. The biggest pain was having to split apart that U-shape each time the bin filled up, so that I could remove the SDD from the bin.

These days I have my 50-760 mounted on the wall, with the SDD directly underneath. But I've got about 7' ceiling height to work with in that area.
    And there was trouble, taking place...