Thread: Lumber yard suggestions - Pennsylvania

Lumber yard suggestions - Pennsylvania

I'll be driving from NY to OH in about a week, and the quickest route takes me through PA (84 to 81 to 80).

Any suggestions for don't-miss lumberyards along the way? Particularly any with a good stock of kiln-dried box elder, catalpa, or an extensive collection of shorts in 8/4-16/4. (I'm a carver, not a builder.)

Thanks!

Blog Entries
    Irion -- although not sure they have much besides shorts from your list.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Beaudoin View Post
    I'll be driving from NY to OH in about a week, and the quickest route takes me through PA (84 to 81 to 80).

Any suggestions for don't-miss lumberyards along the way? Particularly any with a good stock of kiln-dried box elder, catalpa, or an extensive collection of shorts in 8/4-16/4. (I'm a carver, not a builder.)

Thanks!
    If you're going to be in Northern Ohio, check out Keim Lumber in Charm, OH (in the middle of Amish country). Not sure if it's going to be close to where you are, but it's worth a drive. Plenty to do to make a day of it besides the lumber store (if only to get some Amish-cooked food). If you're looking for something specific, I'd recommend giving them a call to see if they have what you're looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike King View Post
    Irion -- although not sure they have much besides shorts from your list.
    I second that motion give the route. Totally worth the slightly north detour from I-80 mid-state.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Irion is definitely recommended. Lewis Lumber in Picture Rocks might also be able to help you. Farther south is Bailey Wood Products, which might be your best bet for the species you're looking for, but it's definitely out of your way.

Once you're in Ohio you'll be going right by Baird Brothers. It's a great yard, but definitely focused more toward typical hardwood lumber yard business and mostly local species, so I doubt you'll find much if anything on your list. But check out their website and decide for yourself.