Thread: Porter Cable Tiger Saw Model 738

Porter Cable Tiger Saw Model 738

This saw is missing the blade clamp screw. Part is not available from Porter Cable. Short of replacing the saw, are there any other options. Even Ebay says out of stock. Any suggestion would be appreciated. Part # is 880951.

Do you have the square part that goes over the blade end, that the screw threads into? The screw was just an Allen screw, with the end turned down to fit the hole in a blade, and engage the hole in the reciprocating bar that the square clamp slid over. It shouldn't be hard to machine, or get a screw machined, if you still have the square clamp. The square thing would be harder to reproduce, but still possible.

Mine finally played completely out. It had the Rockwell name on it. I replaced it with a Dewalt, and the quick-change blade holder alone was worth the price of another one. Plus, my old Rockwell was not variable speed, and that's good to have too.

Tom,
    I do have the block and considered that. I thought maybe the screw was hardened. { will give that a try. Thank you.

I expect it was hardened. I thought that I might be remembering it incorrectly too. Is there a fixed pin on the reciprocating bar that the Allen screw goes over, rather than a protruding pin on the screw? It's been a decade, or so, since I tossed mine. I salvaged the switch, and have used it in a right-angle 1/2" drill from the same vintage. I think I bought those tools in 1974.

If so, it would be a lot easier to drill a hole in an Allen screw. A cobalt bit should even drill it if it's hardened.

Blog Entries
    Most set screws are hardened and you can even get dog point set screws that have a protruding pin on the end.
    40H154_AS01.jpg
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

The screw extension goes thru the block. I went to Tru Value and bought a 3/8-24x1 cap screw. I have access to a machine shop. May we can harden it. I let you know how it worked. Thank you.
    Last edited by Dick Adair; 05-17-2019 at 8:37 PM. Reason: add text

Can you use a drill bit shank to see what size the tip needs to be. It may well be that it's a stock screw used for other things.

https://www.mcmaster.com/dog-point-set-screws
    Last edited by Tom M King; 05-17-2019 at 9:25 PM.