Thread: How do I cut this kerf?

Blog Entries

How do I cut this kerf?

I make A lot of toys and am currently making a tow truck. Attached is a pattern for the side, the double line running across the top and around it is a 1/16" kerf cut into it. Can anyone suggest how I might cut this ?IMG_20190519_093123.jpgIMG_20190519_093856.jpg
    Dennis

CNC router. Really. Cutting all those recesses with a handheld router is very difficult. You could concoct a group of templates to guide a router, but it would take six or seven of them. Faced with that, I'd abandon that design, or re-design it for non-CNC construction.

Blog Entries
    Is this decorative or is it a groove for a panel? Either way I would consider a redesign if I were going to so that more than a couple times. For a one-off a 1/16" bit in a Dremel with a base would get it done. Visit some musical instrument makers sites. They do delicate inlay quite often and probably have some good tips. If you make dozens I would farm it out. You would have to sell a lot of those to pay for even dipping your toe into a serious CnC setup.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Hand tools - scratch stock - or string inlay tools, Lee Valley or Lie Nielsen

overhead Pin router or purfling cutter.
    Bill D

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the suggestions, I think I'll redesign and maybe add some very thin strips of a contrasting wood as trim
    Dennis

You could also undersize the part so you can do a rabbit for the recess along the side and then apply the edge at full height. A trim router with an edge guide could also do it, but you'll have to hand finish the corner for obvious reasons.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I think I would just make the edging with a scroll saw and some 1/16 Baltic Birch. Then glue it in place.

Charley

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Lent View Post
    I think I would just make the edging with a scroll saw and some 1/16 Baltic Birch. Then glue it in place.

Charley
    That's what I did with some contrasting walnut, looks ok
    Dennis