Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DC Experts...Question...

DC Experts...Question...

I've got a Laguna C/Flux 2 DC. Lots of suction, but when I plane and joint, I get lots of shavings after the filter, causing the small bag to fill up. My suspicion is that I might be getting air leakage at the joint between cyclone and bin. Other than that, I'm stumped. I'm not looking to bash the DC, but rather, find a solution. Thanks for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Arita View Post
    I've got a Laguna C/Flux 2 DC. Lots of suction, but when I plane and joint, I get lots of shavings after the filter, causing the small bag to fill up. My suspicion is that I might be getting air leakage at the joint between cyclone and bin. Other than that, I'm stumped. I'm not looking to bash the DC, but rather, find a solution. Thanks for the help.
    Derek, I'm no expert and have not seen that DC nor know how it's made, but on other cyclones an air leak in or below the cone can create air movement which blows chips and things to the filter. On my ClearVue it is easy to see exactly what's going on inside - even talcum-fine dust gets dumped into the bin with almost nothing going to the filters. On another, you might first check your bin for leaks then the seal between the bin and the lid, then the connection. One way to test is with a smoke stick - start the thing running and move the smoke source around close to the suspect areas and see if there is a draft pulling air in. Another way I might test is wrap the top of the bin and connections with thin plastic wrap like saran wrap and see if that reduces or eliminates the draft.

I use a 30-gal metal trash can as a bin, the lid sealed with a strip of thick closed-cell weatherstripping around the inside of the lid such that suction pulls the straight lid down and presses the seal into the smooth top rim of the metal can. All other connections, including a short piece of 6" flex from the cone to the bin, are sealed with clear silicone caulk - I used Alex Plus from Home Depot.

JKJ

Derek, I do not consider myself a dust collection expert. However I did research and design and install my dust collection myself. I have the same problem you describe when my barrel is full. This happens with my cyclone when I do not empty the barrel in time.I would check this first. Rule number one when troubleshooting problems is to start with the simplest most obvious things and methodically work your way out from there. It definitely could be an air leak as well ,maybe try something non permanent to seal the lid on the waste can like duct tape just to see if this is the problem.Hope this helps,Mike.

Blog Entries
    The stubby cyclones like the Laguna do not separate as well as the taller ones.

I believe that Frank may be correct here...even a small leak would create a LOT of blow-by. If what you are seeing is merely annoying debris, then it's likely just separation not being as efficient as a long-cone unit would be. I wouldn't worry about it unless it's clearly a lot of material going by, signifying a leak. No bash intended here...it's just the nature of that particular style/design cyclone, no matter what the paint color or name on the sticker.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks for the replies. I have a suspicion that...well, here's the setup...this unit uses a plastic bag in the main bin. The bag crinkles up around where it folds over the top of the bin. Does anyone else have issues using plastic bags? I'm thinking about ditching the bags.

Derek my cyclone is a Grizzly GO442 (I think) anyway it is the five horsepower unit. It uses bags and I have found a source for contractor bags locally,they are 3 mil .The stock bag that came with was 6 mil and worked better. I now drop a piece of 2x6 or whatever in the bottom when I change bags. mine sucked into the cone,I want to ditch the bag thing and make up 3-4 more bins.

Derek, I use 42 gal contractor bags in my 30 gal bin on my clearvue. To ensure that the little bit that leaks by the folds along the top of the bin doesn’t allow the bag to enter the cone, I have a 240v aquarium pump that puts a slight vacuum on the empty bag. Once it has anything in it, it won’t float up. So to finally get around to answering your question-the leakage at the folds of the bag has not caused any chips to enter my filters.
    Cheers
    Sean

The bin does not have the typical barrel lid seal. Instead, the bin lifts and presses against the flat lid. There is a seal molding at the top of the bin, similar to that around a car door. I don't think that seal is as tight at a barrel lid. I'm wondering if I can adapt what I have, to a barrel bin?

Frank is correct. Saw video from Matt Cremona on you tube who had that cyclone, and also highlighted that it did not filter as well as the taller cyclones.

Part of the video where he discusses the about of stuff going through the filter.
    https://youtu.be/6IqcKZqF7BU?t=1083

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew More View Post
    Frank is correct. Saw video from Matt Cremona on you tube who had that cyclone, and also highlighted that it did not filter as well as the taller cyclones.

Part of the video where he discusses the about of stuff going through the filter.
    https://youtu.be/6IqcKZqF7BU?t=1083
    Believe me, I've read all about it. What I'm asking is, how can I maximize the system or even improve it?

I use spring clamps to keep the lid tight on the barrel. Along with a strip of foam rubber weatherstrip.

Jim, do you have this same DC? If so, how much do the clamps work? Do you still use a bag in the bin?

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Arita View Post
    Believe me, I've read all about it. What I'm asking is, how can I maximize the system or even improve it?
    Sorry, this appears to be a trade-off of this design, and not fixable without changing the geometry of the cyclone. So depending on how you use it, you could use the impeller and housing with another cyclone, either DIY, or maybe as a part from another manufacturer.

I had a Laguna and hated the drum closure system because it was so clumsy. However, I got almost nothing through to the bag. People say the short cyclone doesn't separate well, but mine was fine.