Thread: Bentwood ring questions

Bentwood ring questions

(Not sure that this is exactly Neanderthal Heaven material but you've never steered me wrong before)

I made a series of bentwood rings years ago. Bought a small box full of a variety of hardwood veneers, steamed them up in several ways, rolled em up, glued em up (using CA), sanded, and loved them.
    Those early rings looked great and mostly held up well.

Then something changed.
    Not sure if the box of hardwood veneers have dried out too much? Or living at 9k feet doesn't allow me to properly heat the wood (I've used several ways, including a steam cooker) but I can't get them to lay up as easily as before.
    We're I to make 5 rings, maybe one would get to a place of completion. THe rest split during initial wraps or have gaps that create weaknesses.

I also used Veneer Tamer (might be great for some projects, can't say it's done much for my work)

Any thoughts on what I can do that might improve my luck? I'd be home free if the steamed wood could easily wrap without splitting/breaking/failing.

Thanks.
    -PD

Blog Entries
    I can't answer your question regarding the wood failures, but water boils at 195 degrees at 9,000 feet elevation. I don't know if the 17 degree temperature difference from sea level is the problem.

Boil the wood instead of using steam. I've never had a failure after boiling. I have with steam. Soaking the wood for a couple days before helps also.
    Life's too short to use old sandpaper.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Glenn View Post
    Boil the wood instead of using steam. I've never had a failure after boiling. I have with steam. Soaking the wood for a couple days before helps also.
    I've bent 2 inch kiln dried walnut at 8600 feet (Anderson Ranch). As Bob says, the secret is to soak the wood well before steaming it and make sure it is in the steamer for a good long while. I soaked the pieces I bent for a full day, then steamed them for 3-4 hours before bending. Thinner stock can be soaked and steamed for less time.

Mike

Steam heat the wood one hour per inch of thickness is what I've always been told. Additionally, not all wood bends the same. It can even vary with same species but from a different tree. Where grown, open area, side of a hill or different climates can change the the characteristics.
    Life's too short to use old sandpaper.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Glenn View Post
    Steam heat the wood one hour per inch of thickness is what I've always been told. Additionally, not all wood bends the same. It can even vary with same species but from a different tree. Where grown, open area, side of a hill or different climates can change the the characteristics.
    Works at sea level -- with the lower boiling point at elevation you need longer.