Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Help Identifying Craftsman Table Saw

Need Help Identifying Craftsman Table Saw

'https:// offerup.com/item/detail/584370340/

Reached out to the owner regarding the saw in the link above, but he says he can't remember the model number anymore and the sticker is no longer legible. Does anyone know what the model number is? I would like to know a little about it before going to see it in case it's not worth it. Thanks.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 05-17-2019 at 4:14 PM. Reason: Removed directly link to an off-board sale site

Blog Entries
    22114 is my first guess.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    22114 is my first guess.
    Thanks. Looks like it's either the 22114 like you said, or the 22104. They're similar with the 22114 having some additional features. Trying to find out what it retails for, but not having any luck.

Blog Entries
    That seem like a lot of money for what appears to be a pretty beat up saw. They could be had for about that new on sale.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    That seem like a lot of money for what appears to be a pretty beat up saw. They could be had for about that new on sale.
    From what I found, the saw is no longer made. Where are you seein it available new?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sergio Sotolongo View Post
    Thanks. Looks like it's either the 22114 like you said, or the 22104. They're similar with the 22114 having some additional features. Trying to find out what it retails for, but not having any luck.
    I had (and dad still has) a 22124 that was the upper end saw of that family when they were offered. IIRC, the 22124 went for about $1000 with a Beisemeyer commercial fence. I see 22124's go for $500 to $700 if in very good shape. The primary used value driver on this Orion design (pre-Steel City folks) is the Beisemeyer fence, the cabinet mounted cast iron top and wings and the surprisingly powerful 1-3/4 HP 120v motor. Not so sought after by those who have 240v power but, a powerhouse of a saw for those renting or unable to justify pulling in 240v power for a 3HP cab saw.

There are a few "ifs" for the saw in the pic. Number one is it looks like the Florida moisture has had its way with it. If the mechanisms are not too rusty and the fence is good, $220 wouldn't scare me away. The 22114 had cast iron wings and the 22104 dropped to stamped steel. If a 22104 I would be looking for something closer to $100 - $150 depending on condition (price after-market CI wings to get an idea why). JMHO. The 22124 did everything I ever asked of it and if not for an unexpected windfall, I would probably still be running it.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 05-17-2019 at 8:47 AM.

– Samuel Butler

I had (and dad still has) a 22124 that was the upper end saw of that family when they were offered. IIRC, the 22124 went for about $1000 with a Beisemeyer commercial fence. I see 22124's go for $500 to $700 if in very good shape. The primary used value driver on this Orion design (pre-Steel City folks) is the Beisemeyer fence, the cabinet mounted cast iron top and wings and the surprisingly powerful 1-3/4 HP 120v motor. Not so sought after by those who have 240v power but, a powerhouse of a saw for those renting or unable to justify pulling in 240v power for a 3HP cab saw.

There are a few "ifs" for the saw in the pic. Number one is it looks like the Florida moisture has had its way with it. If the mechanisms are not too rusty and the fence is good, $220 wouldn't scare me away. The 22114 had cast iron wings and the 22104 dropped to stamped steel. If a 22104 I would be looking for something closer to $100 - $150 depending on condition (price after-market CI wings to get an idea why). JMHO. The 22124 did everything I ever asked of it and if not for an unexpected windfall, I would probably still be running it.
    This one is the lower end of the one your father has. I know the aluminum tops are crap. Is steel that much worse than cast iron? I’ve always thought of steel as iron but with less imperfections.

Blog Entries
    Machined steel good, stamped steel not so much I have replaced stamped wings with well framed MDF with good success.

– Samuel Butler

Machined steel good, stamped steel not so much I have replaced stamped wings with well framed MDF with good success.
    Isn't MDF lighter? Isn't that contrary to why you want the cast iron? The weight helps limit vibration. Isn't it better to have the steel ones then? They're heavier no?

Blog Entries
    Isn't MDF lighter? Isn't that contrary to why you want the cast iron? The weight helps limit vibration. Isn't it better to have the steel ones then? They're heavier no?
    I was after the consistency of surface plane. For what I do the irregularities in the stamped steel wings is undesirable. Your mileage may vary, I would certainly try what you have before I started modifying. What is important is how well it works for you. If you use a lot of sheet goods where the material spans a wide surface, almost anything that will hold it up will do. If you use the tablesaw for a lot of joinery and jigs your needs may differ. Some folks prefer the "web" cast wings. I wasn't trying to start a "tastes great" "less filling" debate ;-)
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 05-18-2019 at 10:01 AM.

– Samuel Butler

I have a stamped steel left wing on my delta contractor. VERY heavy gauge. Works well for me. YMMV.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Blog Entries
    Stamped steel tables are lighter than a well build MDF table. I don't think anyone is saying that MDF is better than cast iron.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    Stamped steel tables are lighter than a well build MDF table. I don't think anyone is saying that MDF is better than cast iron.
    MDF is easier to put a router plate in, though

You seem to know this line of saws well. Would you mind clicking on the image and taking a closer look? The fence isn’t the stock fence. It looks like the align a rip fence. Some people like it some don’t, and the reviews are so so on it. When I zoom in, the top doesn’t look like the stamped steel on the 22104 from stock pics I see. Maybe I’m being optimistic and I’m seeing what I want to see. That’s why I’m asking for an impartial look. The miter gauge looks like the upgraded version but it’s missing pieces. Thanks.
    Last edited by Sergio Sotolongo; 05-18-2019 at 11:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    I have a stamped steel left wing on my delta contractor. VERY heavy gauge. Works well for me. YMMV.
    Ok. As always, every rule has an exception. I guess a lot depends on what I need too.