Thread: Dust Deputy, Anyone?

Dust Deputy, Anyone?

I've been thinking about using one of these with my cabinet blaster, but I'm now thinking it could be a good benefit to my general use garage-shop vac. I use a Festool vac right now and switch out bags about every 6 months or less, depending. How efficient is the DD and does it really work as advertised?

Yep, they sure do! Pick one up and try it out. I recommend using a metal or very heavy duty bucket though, especially if youre going to go the 5 gallon bucket route as those lighter ones you can pick up at Home Depot collapse too easily.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rivel View Post
    Yep, they sure do! Pick one up and try it out. I recommend using a metal or very heavy duty bucket though, especially if youre going to go the 5 gallon bucket route as those lighter ones you can pick up at Home Depot collapse too easily.
    I was thinking about getting the setup from Woodcraft. Has the bucket, DD and vac fittings. Actually, lower bucket would be nice, but, oh well.

I love mine. I think they work as advertised. Maybe better than advertised. Almost no dust gets to the vacuum.
    My $0.02 would be to buy the kit which comes with the buckets, which are better than the cheap orange ones. And the hose. First thing, toss out the casters they supply. Unless they upgraded, and give you 5 now, they suck, and no matter what you do, the bucket will tip over. Too top heavy. What I did was get scrap wood, (pallet wood) and build a platform long and wide enough for both the DD and vacuum. Take the wheels off the vac, screw down the vacuum and the outer 5 gal DD bucket to the platform, put the wheels from the vac on the platform. The entire assembly moves together and is much less of a hassle. WAY easier than moving the vac, then the DD, have the DD fall over, bad words issue forth. Afraid of bolting the vac down? Don't. As mentioned, nothing gets there to be emptied. Pull the inner DD bucket out and dump, replace. Easy.

Picked up a Dust Right from Rockler on sale - -which BTW - they have one going right now.
    My granddad always said, :As one door closes, another opens".
    Wonderful man, terrible cabinet maker...

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    Picked up a Dust Right from Rockler on sale - -which BTW - they have one going right now.
    I don't see the DD on the Rockler site. Are you sure it's Rockler?

It's not the DD - it's the Dust Right....same principal
    https://www.rockler.com/dust-right-d...hoC-xIQAvD_BwE
    My granddad always said, :As one door closes, another opens".
    Wonderful man, terrible cabinet maker...

I bought the DD and instead of mounting it to a 5 gal. bucket, I bought a 20 gal. bio- waste container with a snap lock lid. Solid and air tight. It's large enough that the DD will stay put and not fall over. Very seldom do I have to empty my shop vac. Only if I forget to clean out the DD container.

https://www.zoro.com/eagle-salvage-drum-open-head-20-gal-yellow-1654/i/G3387526/

These can also be found on Amazon and a few other places for about the same price. They also make a 30 gallon, but it was more than I needed and took up too much needed space.
    My Dad always told me "Can't Never Could".

SWE

I have a Dust Deputy and a similar Duststopper. I think they both work great. I have two so I can leave them semi-attached to various tools.I agree with Kyle that the DD is too unstable to move around easily and am going to make a cart for it. The Duststopper has a lower profile and has a 90-degree plastic connector on top that makes it much more stable.

I use the dust deputy with my Fein shop vac and its bigger brother, the Super Dust Deputy with my central system, and both work as advertised. Can't imagine being without either. Keep bags and filters clean. Randy

I join all the others in saying that they work exactly as advertised. I have two and am getting close to buying a third. Why? because I have three shop vacs that's why. And it is a heck of a lot easier dumping out a bucket than cleaning a pleated filter. Plus, since the filter stays clean, there is no gradual loss of suction. To be clear, the filter might need cleaning once a year or so depending on use as some of the super fine dust will make its way past the DD. Put another way, the filter might need cleaning maybe 5% as often as without a DD. I think of it as spring cleaning and getting ready for the next year.

I really wanted one of mine to fit under a low workbench so I found a short bucket with the same circumference and it works perfectly. However everyone should know that the only quality required of the 'bucket' that sits under the DD, is that it is air tight. Short square boxes can be built and they will work just fine. Just pay attention and learn how often they need to be emptied.

I agree that the kit is a good deal as you get 2 buckets, a 3' hose with 2 90° elbows, a gasket, bolts and of course the beloved tiny wheels which I have set aside for something else. But I think my third one will just be the DD and I will provide everything else myself. Managing 3 vacs is simple with a single remote and 3 controllers. Maybe 20 bucks on Amazon.

Go for it- you will be glad you did.

Quote Originally Posted by Randall J Cox View Post
    I use the dust deputy with my Fein shop vac and its bigger brother, the Super Dust Deputy with my central system, and both work as advertised. Can't imagine being without either. Keep bags and filters clean. Randy
    Randall, thanks for info. I have a 2 stage portable DC that doesn't do a great job of separating and I end up with lots of larger particles in the filter bag. Will the Super Dust Deputy take care of that?