Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Woodworking Magazines

Blog Entries

Woodworking Magazines

I currently receive two. Typically, I receive them, thumb through them, and put them on a shelf.

I think I will not renew the subscriptions.

Am I the only one that does this?

I have dropped all woodworking magazine subscriptions because none of them are very good any more. Apparently, there is not enough profit in it to produce really good content. It is a shame but printed material, whether hobby magazine or newspaper, is just going by the wayside.

I hate to say it but I'm with Art on this one. I dropped all of my subscriptions over 5 years ago. I wonder whether or not any paper magazines will be able to survive in the special interest arena.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Blog Entries
    After we all drop our subscriptions, where will we get our ideas?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    After we all drop our subscriptions, where will we get our ideas?
    From our dreams, our spouses and Youtube.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    I still have a subscription to Fine Woodworking. I enjoy looking at old issues.

I really enjoyed Popular Woodworking when Schwartz was there.

I used to receive FWW. I enjoy them. I currently have an electronic subscription and it makes more sense. I can read back issues on my tablet, print out project articles, and the search utility is nice too.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

I tend to look at them in the racks by the check-out counters at the borgs.....if the line is long enough, I can even read through a couple....IF I find something I like (rarely) I might even buy one.....maybe. just bought the latest issue of FWW at the Blue Borg a while back....something about building stools...

just found an older FWW..No. 109.....

I occasionally buy one off the shelf at the Borg checkout counter, but that is very infrequent, and only occurs when the proper shiny object is shown on the cover!
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

Dropped Fine Woodworking and will probably drop PWW too next year for all the reasons listed above. Currently looking into subscribing to Fair Woodworking!
    Life's too short to use old sandpaper.

Blog Entries
    I dropped FWW and sold all of my old copies (many many years from #1) several years ago. I can't afford the physical space and the shear effort of looking through hundreds of issues for that one perfect article. As a replacement I have purchased digital copies of a bunch of older magazines -

American Woodworker (1985-2014)
    Popular Woodworking Magazine (1995-2018)
    Woodwork Magazine (1989-2014)
    Woodworking Magazine (2004-2009)
    The Craftsman (1901-1916)

I see that FWW is available from issue #1 through the 2018 year on DVD for $99. Perhaps I'll get that too. I started with digital when Chris Schwarz started giving out free PDFs of his books when you bought the hard copy. An older display card with a newer 4096 screen works well with these pdf files if you can run the display in portrait mode... especially if you're eyes aren't young any more. Before anyone asks - I got The Craftsman off of eBay on cdroms a long time ago but I see a similar version on Amazon for $10 - The Craftsman Collection.

I get a few because the subscription is so cheap. the one I really enjoy is Mortise and Tenon. Mainly focuses on hand tool techniques.

I currently receive two. Typically, I receive them, thumb through them, and put them on a shelf.

I think I will not renew the subscriptions.

Am I the only one that does this?
    I like to hand them to my wife, because it helps to maintain her enthusiasm (as well as providing her with project ideas.)

She tends to blanch at the cost of the tools. I, OTOH, tend to blanch at the cost of the wood, which is the much bigger deal. Pucker factor when you have to buy twice as much as you need just to get the figure right. And people complain about six bucks to subscribe to this site, I wonder about that, could they all just be using pallet wood...

I still have a subscription to Fine Woodworking. I enjoy looking at old issues.

I really enjoyed Popular Woodworking when Schwartz was there.
    PW has changed a LOT in past couple years...It was good..I did not renew this year...
    Jerry

15. I get Popular Woodworking, Fine Woodworking, Fine Homebuuilding, and This Old House. I think Fine Homebuilding is the most interesting. I could live without them, but I renew them because I like having something analog and tactile that I can flip through when I can't sleep.