Thread: Is this a Hammer A3-31?

Is this a Hammer A3-31?

About to pull the trigger on a hammer a3-31 jointer planer when the obvious hit me - it lacks the logo!?

Is this a knock off that anyone recognizes? Is there a legitimate older model that doesn't have the Hammer logo on the front?

Thx!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sure looks like one to me. I have the A3-41 and the style, color and switch looks like the Hammer machine.

It's similar for sure, don't know if it's an older model.

It's not exactly the same as my 2018 A3-31

My 2001-vintage A3-31 has a plate riveted to it with the model number, date of manufacture, voltage, the manufacturer's name, and many other bits of information. I'd expect a newer Hammer to have a similar plate. I presume you're going to see this machine, and run lumber through it. When you do that, look for the plate.

I am a new woodworker here and I can't see your picture, but the older A3-31 had a gull wing table opening. Since about 2011-ish hammer went to a parallel pivot. They have changed their colors slightly. but they should have a name plate on the back of the machine. I have one of their newer machines and used many of their older machines.

Quote Originally Posted by jesse ross View Post
    About to pull the trigger on a hammer a3-31 jointer planer when the obvious hit me - it lacks the logo!?

Is this a knock off that anyone recognizes? Is there a legitimate older model that doesn't have the Hammer logo on the front?

Thx!
    Jesse, it is ... with the fence installed incorrectly and bed hold downs positioned differently.

Mine with an extension piece for the bed ...

Regards from Perth

Derek

It looks like one to me.

Check with Hammer regarding the serial number if you're concerned.

Regards, Rod.

Interesting...

The "Warning" sticker does look just like the Hammer/Felder ones, and it does have CE mark stickers (which I think would be less likely on a knockoff). There are some differences from the current version (guard is different, table lift is in different position), but those may just be from it being older. The Hammer logo is just an applied vinyl sticker, so I imagine it's possible someone removed it for some reason.

My understanding is the company that makes parts of the Hammer line also makes very similar models badged under other names. The colors are fight for Hammer and even if the machine is rebadged, it is likely the same. Dave

Thanks for the input from all.

The Hammer logo on this older model turns out to be a plate that latches in and screws on. It's included. The fence is an unusual model that is centered on the machine and slides on a metal shaft, I believe designed for the 16" model, but available on certain A3-31s at a certain time. The seller opted to add this later.

Looks and runs like new from what I passed through it. Sadly, quick change knives on this one, and the Hammer spiral cutter block doesn't fit this older model, but I could put a byrd head in if I felt a segmented cutterhead would be a vast improvement. I sure love it on my Dewalt DW735, which will now likely find a new home. But hey, my hand planes are straight blades, so I guess they can't be so bad?

Jesse

Jesse, the quick change knives work very well, and are long lasting and economical.

I opted not to purchase the spiral head when I bought my second A3, haven't regretted it yet.............Rod.