Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: shopping for a larger lathe

Quote Originally Posted by carl mesaros View Post
    I have a whole shop full of tools, just easier to sell by auction as we have already moved. Will be a sad day however.
    I was going to PM you a question on your lathe to try and under the difference between the new and old version of the Revo 24, but the PM only works for paying members now apparently. From my research it seems like the main difference is the lack of secondary controls. Is there any other difference?
    Not allowed

2. Quote Originally Posted by Derek Voigt View Post
    I was going to PM you a question on your lathe to try and under the difference between the new and old version of the Revo 24, but the PM only works for paying members now apparently. From my research it seems like the main difference is the lack of secondary controls. Is there any other difference?
    I'm not Carl, but I do know the differences. The old Revo 24" lathe was a bigger lathe than the new one, as it had a longer bed, which is made from cast iron, where the new Revo 2436 has a steel bed, and is 36" between centers, and has the pendant control for the tailstock area. Also there is a difference in the build in the headstock, which the new Revo 2436 has 2 bearings on the spindle, and the one Carl has has 3 larger bearings on the spindle. The old one is copied from the flagship of the Harvey lathes, the Turbo 60 unit. Which is the same as the Grizzly G0800, which I have in my shop.

The 3 bearings in my G0800 are all bigger than a baseball in diameter and are made for heavy dynamic loads. The extra heavy duty build is the reason I went with the G0800 over the Laguna Revo 2436, even though the pendant control is a very nice feature. I turn a lot of big/heavy wood, and for me the heavy duty build was the issue that sealed my decision. I could have gotten a Robust American Beauty [ was close to pulling the trigger on one, actually] but decided to go with the G0800......I've only had superb performance with the G0800, and am very pleased with my decision!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post
    I'm not Carl, but I do know the differences. The old Revo 24" lathe was a bigger lathe than the new one, as it had a longer bed, which is made from cast iron, where the new Revo 2436 has a steel bed, and is 36" between centers, and has the pendant control for the tailstock area. Also there is a difference in the build in the headstock, which the new Revo 2436 has 2 bearings on the spindle, and the one Carl has has 3 larger bearings on the spindle. The old one is copied from the flagship of the Harvey lathes, the Turbo 60 unit. Which is the same as the Grizzly G0800, which I have in my shop.

The 3 bearings in my G0800 are all bigger than a baseball in diameter and are made for heavy dynamic loads. The extra heavy duty build is the reason I went with the G0800 over the Laguna Revo 2436, even though the pendant control is a very nice feature. I turn a lot of big/heavy wood, and for me the heavy duty build was the issue that sealed my decision. I could have gotten a Robust American Beauty [ was close to pulling the trigger on one, actually] but decided to go with the G0800......I've only had superb performance with the G0800, and am very pleased with my decision!
    I am Carl and want to say Roger is spot on. Great heavy duty lathe and great value for the $$, even with the ridiculous tariffs.

Great information about thanks. I didn’t know that the G0800 was that heavy duty of a lathe too. I assumed that extra cost went somewhere!
    Not allowed

Derek,

Just in case you haven't seen it on this site, here's a link to an interesting discussion that has a few good pieces of information:

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....vo-24-36-Lathe
    Member Turners Anonymous Pittsburgh, PA

The main reason I went for a bigger lathe was for more horse power, not the bigger turning capacity. If you sell, the market for bowls over 14 inch diameter is limited, and finding trees that size is a bit limited as well. I do have a Robust Liberty, which then no longer make and it has a 16 inch throw, with a 2 hp motor. Nice lathe, but I am thinking the mid sized lathes should be 18 inch, which would allow for 16 inch bowls to be turned fairly easily. I think there are a couple of them on the market, Laguna and Grizzly maybe??? I have one of the early ABs, and prefer the 3 speed pulley system. They have switched to 2 speeds now. Mostly for me, the low speed range was too low for smaller bowls, and the high speed range didn't have the torque for coring. I also have a Vicmarc. I do like it, but have yet to really give it a hard work out, only 40 or so bowls on it. It also has 3 pulleys on it. I guess it depends on what you can find and what you need. I do prefer the sliding headstocks for bowl turning.

robo hippy

Carl, what part of Oregon? I am in Eugene...

robo hippy

oregon

[QUOTE=Reed Gray;2930874]Carl, what part of Oregon? I am in Eugene...

robo hippy

Hello I have met you at your woodturning club a few years ago.
    we have recently moved to La Pine.
    Hope to visit you in Eugene when we visit the kids.