Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gettysburg

Gettysburg

Going to Gettysburg in a couple of weeks. Any good places to hunt for tools in or around there?

South Central PA is an antique tool hunters gold mine. Stuff in Gettysburg will be expensive, and everything there people will claim in somehow involved in the civil war. Examples of Disston's "Surgeon Amputation Knife used in the Civil War" abound, which is really a bread knife.

Towns which should be on your list are York and Carlisle. Both have large antique malls. Adamstown is the coin of the realm as it relates to antique malls, the entire town is one huge antique store. A little further east is Morgantown, which has some multi dealer shops as well. I've picked some pretty fab tools all through that area.

Report back on what you find. I would not miss Adamstown.

Lew Kauffman, a wood turner over on LJ's..LIVES in Gettysburg....might want to contact him?

I was there with my wife last summer for a few days. Took my bike with me and rode every street in the town. There was really little to nothing to be found unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Lawrence View Post
    Going to Gettysburg in a couple of weeks. Any good places to hunt for tools in or around there?
    YES! Travel west of Gettysburg on Route 30, to Fayetteville Antique Mall and have at it. Go east to New Oxford-many Antique stores. Go northeast to Adamstown-again many places!
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

Quote Originally Posted by chris carter View Post
    I was there with my wife last summer for a few days. Took my bike with me and rode every street in the town. There was really little to nothing to be found unfortunately.
    You need to have a map of the battle in hand, see the site of the Seminary for instance and it's famous ridge. What really did it for me was the monument as you enter the park that's inscribed, 12th Illinois Cavalry, "Held Until Relieved."

Having stumbled upon Confederate forces while on picket duty in what was a sleepy backwater, one squadron of Union soldiers were confronted by the Confederates in Regimental strength. Truly heroic.

Quote Originally Posted by bill epstein View Post
    You need to have a map of the battle in hand, see the site of the Seminary for instance and it's famous ridge. What really did it for me was the monument as you enter the park that's inscribed, 12th Illinois Cavalry, "Held Until Relieved."

Having stumbled upon Confederate forces while on picket duty in what was a sleepy backwater, one squadron of Union soldiers were confronted by the Confederates in Regimental strength. Truly heroic.
    Best description of the battlefield and the tactics I have ever read is "The Killer Angels" - Michael Shaara. If the battlefield is on your list, well worth the read.

Go to the visitor center and hire a battlefield guide. He/she will drive your vehicle on a tour of the battlefield-takes about 2 to 2 1/2 hours.

We’re heading that way in June. Thanks for the info.

The Blue & Gray diner on the main square has very good wings & shrimp.
    Avoid General Pickett’s Buffet. Yuk!

I'm a civil war buff (not a reenactor, not my thing). I read books, visit and study battlefields. In years past,
    I've attended, multiple times, "The Civil War Institute", at Gettysburg College. Needless to say, I've been at Gettysburg far more times than I can remember.

Gettysburg is a family friendly town. As I said, hire a tour guide, or at the least, buy a copy of the auto tour, om CD, at the Visitor's Center. There are plenty of excellent restaurants, bars, as well as shopping for SWMBO (outlet center, south of the town). You're coming into tourist season, and lodging pricing goes up accordingly-check and book your hotel online, or you may be disappointed by not finding a room when there.

I already gave you a tool "honey hole" of mine earlier in this thread. For example, at that place, I got a NOS Record 52 vise, with quick realease (the large size vise), in the box for $65.00. I also have purchased numerous vintage chisels (including an unused Stanley 1/2" 750 for $5.0), many Oil stones and so forth.

We have several favorite restaurants: The Pub, on the square, Appalachian Brewing Company, on Steinwehr (Aero Bock is excellent!) and Ernies Texas Diner, just off the square, going towards Chambersburg, for great hot dogs. These are our regular stops and I will not dispage other places, but these are the ones we like.

11. I live just north of Gettysburg. Tony nailed it, Fayetteville antique mall to the west has tons of tools and New Oxford to the east has many antique shops with tools. Downtown Gettysburg doesn't have much of anything for tools. I've bought most of my tools from the antique shops in the area over the last 5 years. I'm so lucky to live in such an antique rich area.

Quote Originally Posted by bill epstein View Post

Oh, I saw all the sights, just not much in terms of tools to buy The reason I had my bike with me is because I convinced my wife to do the entire auto-tour on bicycle (I'm a biker, she is definitely NOT). I'd never been, although she'd been before and done the auto tour. She said it was 10 times better doing it on bike. She saw more, noticed more details, better immersive experience, etc., etc. To be truly neander I should have done it on some historic bike or something, but I was on a fixed gear so that's kinda close!

13. I just thought of another one I forgot about! Right down the road in Emmitsburg MD is an antique mall and there is a vendor in there has TONS of tools. His prices are not cheap but a lot can be found there.

Head east a ways to Paola, PA, to the Wharton Esherick Museum. I believe it is appointment only, but it is fabulous.

Appreciate all the suggestions. Turned out we had plenty to do with just the battlefield and museum, so no tool hunting. Definitely taking notes for the next trip though.