Thread: Dust Collection - Flex hose size

Dust Collection - Flex hose size

Hi,

I'm looking at getting this dust collector (https://www.jettools.com/us/en/p/jcd...hp-115v/717515). I have a 12" jointer/planer combo machine with a 4" port and cabinet saw with a 4" port. The dust collector has a 1x6" or 2x4" inlets.

I'll be placing this so that there is about 10' of flex duct running to each machine. There will be blast gates on each run near the dust collector. Needs to be flex as I move the machines around as needed in my small shop. I'll only be running one tool at a time. From all of my reading it looks like I should be running 6" flex and then a reducer at each tool port. Or should I stick with the 2x4" wye inlet and run 4" flex to each machine.

If i use the 6" inlet I'll need a 6" wye at the dust collector that each 6" flex run will attached to. I'll also need 6" to 4" reducer at each tool port.

What do you think? Also - Has anyone run this off at 15a circuit before (it says 14a on the website)? Probably needs 20a?

You're always better off running the largest "pipe" you can as close to the machines as possible, and that goes double when you're talking about flex, since it has higher resistance to flow than smooth rigid pipe. It would be less of an issue with a machine that doesn't produce a lot of chips, but a planer can generate a lot of chips fast, so you'll want the highest flow (and thus lowest resistance to flow) that you can get.

Brett,

It is always ideal to keep the duct/hose as large as possible if the dust collector can keep the air flow volume high enough so the dust doesn't settle in the duct/hose.

On Jet's web site for your dust collector, there is a recommended circuit size of 20A. The book says a 'no load running amps is 13 A' and 'full load is 14A'. You typically want to avoid running your circuits over 80% capacity, in the case of a 15A circuit, that is 12A. You also will see a spike in amps at motor startup and that could cause you to pop the circuit often.

You should upgrade to a 20A circuit (including at least 12/2 for your wire and a 20A receptacle.

forgot to mention - are you set on this model. For the price, the Laguna CFlux 1 is priced similar and you get more machine. The overall footprint is about 2 inches bigger.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Rapp View Post
    forgot to mention - are you set on this model. For the price, the Laguna CFlux 1 is priced similar and you get more machine. The overall footprint is about 2 inches bigger.
    Thanks guys. 6" to 4" reducer at the tools it is with 6" flex.

I'm in Canada so as for the model it's actually a King (https://www.atlas-machinery.com/King...tion/KC-6150C/ )

It's identical to the Jet, I just figured more Americans would have the Jet and be easier to chime in, haha. Yes, I looked at the cFlux (https://www.atlas-machinery.com/laguna/mdccf15110/). I think it's almost 19a so I ruled it out. I was hoping just to run it off a 15a circuit as I don't think I have a 110v 20a circuit in the basement. With the cFlux at 18.8 amp isn't that more than 80% load as well (Edit: just read that it requires a 30a circuit)? Unfortunately I don't have any more room in the panel for another 220 circuit.

I suppose I could go with this (https://www.atlas-machinery.com/1-1-...with-canister/). It's only 12a and then add a super dust deputy to it. I'd then change the 6" flex to 5" in this case because of the SDD inlet is only 5".
    Last edited by Brett Harris; 05-15-2019 at 4:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Harris View Post
    Thanks guys. 6" to 4" reducer at the tools it is with 6" flex.

I'm in Canada so as for the model it's actually a King (https://www.atlas-machinery.com/King...tion/KC-6150C/ )

It's identical to the Jet, I just figured more Americans would have the Jet and be easier to chime in, haha. Yes, I looked at the cFlux (https://www.atlas-machinery.com/laguna/mdccf15110/). I think it's almost 19a so I ruled it out. I was hoping just to run it off a 15a circuit as I don't think I have a 110v 20a circuit in the basement. With the cFlux at 18.8 amp isn't that more than 80% load as well (Edit: just read that it requires a 30a circuit)? Unfortunately I don't have any more room in the panel for another 220 circuit.

I suppose I could go with this (https://www.atlas-machinery.com/1-1-...with-canister/). It's only 12a and then add a super dust deputy to it. I'd then change the 6" flex to 5" in this case because of the SDD inlet is only 5".
    The Laguna actually requires a 30A 110v circuit - using 10G wire. If you need to install a circuit for the Jet/King anyway, going to the Laguna would be worth it. When it comes to cyclone DC, I don't think many American's have the JET, they tend to go for other brands from what I can tell.

I would definitely run 6 inch. I would also recommend using 6 inch sewer PVC instead of flex. It has much less resistance than flex, and in my area, it is cheaper than flex, though the wyes can be expensive, so you may break even on price.

Why not increase the port size on saw? It is not a hard modification on a cabinet saw.

Brett

I can't speak to the exact model you're looking at, but I've been running a 1.5HP Jet , DC1100, dust collector for 2+ decades on a 120vac/15 amp circuit, and it has never popped the breaker.
    I have also been using 4" diameter,10' Flex hose, the entire time with it. The machines I use with it are a 10" General 20-220C table saw, 15" Jet planer, 6" Jet planer, 18" Rikon Bandsaw, 14" Jet bandsaw, Delta 43-375 shaper, Jet 10" contractor saw, and a Steel City 27" dual drum sander.
    With the exception of the Steel City drum sander, it has no problems keeping up with the other machines. It is barely adequate for the drum sander, and it fact it is not adequate if I run too wide of material, or gang material through the sander.
    I've been contemplating fabricating a larger diameter common header, but have yet to actually do it.

PS
    Plan on two pickups for the table saw. One below the table and one above. This combination though will push a unit that size to it's limits.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

That’s great. Thanks, Mike. I just picked up a used Delta 50-760 (see my other thread) and it’s rated at 15a. Tried it out yesterday and it runs fine on a 15a circuit. No trips.