My wife and I were discussing the current membership issue, especially with regard to the idea of cutting off potential new recruits before they have a chance to see what this site is all about. She had an idea which seems good enough to share :

Allow guests to read posts but not see pictures or post messages. Perhaps they could be allowed to visit the Gallery and see images there. I don't know if guests can be identified and blocked by their computer address but, if so, they could be limited to a certain number of visits (I say 20 ; my wife says 10) before they must join.

There could be a trial membership whereby they would be allowed view pictures but still not post. Then, after a certain number of visits as a trial member (again, I say 20 ; my wife says 10), if they do not sign up as a paying member, they're out .. perhaps limited only to viewing the Gallery.

Of course, as Keith fears, a scamp could re-sign again with a different nickname but, having to do that constantly would get pretty old for them and I believe they would eventually fall away. Perhaps full membership could be set at $9 or $12 to cover the guests and trial members. ..Still a bargain.